Duke women's basketball 2023-24 player preview: Ashlon Jackson

Ashlon Jackson is primed for a big role in her second year with the Blue Devils.

With the college basketball season right around the corner, it's time for the Blue Zone to take a look at the 2023-24 Duke women's basketball roster. We previously looked at Emma Koabel, Oluchi Okananwa, Delaney Thomas, Jordan Wood, Camilla Emsbo, Kennedy Brown and Jadyn Donovan. Next up is sophomore guard Ashlon Jackson: 

Ashlon Jackson 

Year: Sophomore

Height: 6-foot

Position: Guard

Last year’s stat line: 13.3 MPG, 3.2 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 0.9 APG 

Game breakdown: Earning time in all of Duke’s 33 games and living up to her 2022 McDonald’s All-American title, Jackson had an impressive freshman season. She was ranked 16th in her recruiting class, 3rd for her position, with excellent stats in all areas of the game. It was expected for her to be a contributor during the 2022-23 Blue Devil season, and her average of 13.3 minutes per game allowed her to be. During those minutes, she averaged 3.2 points, helping the team to its first NCAA tournament appearance and first-round win in head coach Kara Lawson’s three seasons. 

In Duke’s NCAA tournament win against Iona, Jackson aided the team with six points and one assist in 19 minutes. In the regular season, she had notable performances on many occasions. Her highest scoring total occurred Dec. 4 in the Blue Devils’ win against Richmond, in which she scored 12 points in 19 minutes. She contributed double digits in the previous game as well, with 10 points versus Northwestern. Demonstrating her well-rounded athleticism and contribution to the game, she had 12 steals and 10 blocks during the season, with two steals in three different games and three blocks against Florida State. Jackson mainly scores from behind the arc, as 20 of her 35 field goals were from deep. She has proved her ability to add value on both the defensive and offensive ends of the court at the collegiate level using her 6-foot height. 

Role on the team: Playing in every game of her freshman season and being one of Duke’s top 2022 recruits, Jackson will likely see more minutes her sophomore year. She has made her mark by bringing energy to the court from the bench, but as a second-year player with more experience under her belt, she might see her first starts for the Blue Devils this season. In particular, the China, Texas, native has been known for her exceptional shooting abilities, and will likely improve her scoring percentages and averages from her freshman year. With her energy, height and overall skill, she will continue to build her presence and be an important key to Duke’s success. 

Projected stats: 25.5 MPG, 8.6 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 1.3 APG

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2023-24 player preview: Ashlon Jackson” on social media.