Price releases second statement on Israel-Hamas war urging respectful debate

President Vincent Price released a second statement about the Israel-Hamas war in a Monday morning email to the Duke community urging its members to reaffirm their commitment to respectful debate and discussion. 

“As an institution of higher learning, we value wide freedom of expression for those in our campus community. With that freedom comes the responsibility to foster scholarly discourse, and not descend into polemics, personal attacks or antisemitic or anti-Muslim rhetoric,” Price wrote. 

Price released his first statement Oct. 10 condemning Hamas’ violence in the region and urging the Duke community to support those impacted by the violence. However, some attendees at Thursday’s Pause for Palestine event criticized the statement, saying it lacked nuance by not mentioning Palestine. 

Monday’s statement acknowledged the pain felt by members of the Duke community in response to the increasing deaths and injuries in the region.

“… I've heard from many students, faculty, staff, alumni, and parents throughout our Duke community: Jewish, Arab, Muslim, Christian, Israeli, Palestinian, with roots in the region or not. Our Duke community, mirroring the worldwide community, is in pain,” he wrote. 

Price stressed that the conflict should not “erode our own commitment to community at Duke or lead us to negate our shared humanity” and emphasized the need for “respectful and compassionate learning” during difficult times.  

"With this in mind, I encourage each of us to consider ways we can, in moments of often intense and passionate disagreement, preserve our shared values of respect and inclusion and foster debate and deliberation leavened with goodwill and understanding," Price wrote. 

The statement emphasized the “opportunity and obligation” Duke has as an academic community to demonstrate “the power of being guided by our educational values” and ensuring that the University is an inclusive place. 

Price directed readers to the University’s resources for those affected by local and world events if they have concerns about their “ability to openly express [their] beliefs and opinions” or need additional support. 

Audrey Wang profile
Audrey Wang | Data Editor

Audrey Wang is a Trinity junior and data editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 119.

Share and discuss “Price releases second statement on Israel-Hamas war urging respectful debate ” on social media.