Duke places Israel, Palestinian territories on Restricted Regions List following escalated conflict

Following Hamas’ attack on Israel and the developing war in the region, Duke published a statement announcing that all of the Palestinian territories and Israel have been added to the Duke Restricted Regions List.

The University has already accounted for two dozen students, faculty, staff and affiliates in Israel and the Palestinian territories, wrote Frank Tramble, vice president for communications, marketing and public affairs. Some have already left the region.

This is the first time Duke has limited travel to the Palestinian territories in over 15 years, said Christy Parrish, director of global travel policies and incident management at Duke. These restrictions were effective beginning Oct. 7, and Duke leadership will reconvene to reconsider the restrictions in 30 days.

Duke’s Global Travel Policy prohibits “learners,” which includes all students, as well as house staff and residents, from traveling to countries on the RRL. Those who wish to travel to a region on the list must receive a waiver and register their visit. Faculty and staff are still permitted to travel to restricted regions.

In an email to The Chronicle, Parrish said Duke allows students “to petition for a waiver from within the host nation if a restriction is added during their stay, and if their activity and host can continue to support their activity despite the heightened risks.”

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity sophomore and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke places Israel, Palestinian territories on Restricted Regions List following escalated conflict” on social media.