The Chronicle's guide to fall vaccinations at Duke

With the fall season well underway, there is no better way to shield yourself, your classmates, your professors and your loved ones from illness than by getting a flu shot. The Chronicle has compiled a guide on how to get your flu shots and what to do when you feel sick. 

Who should get the vaccines?

The flu vaccine is recommended for everyone who is six months and older, especially if they have a chronic health condition.

The onset of flu season usually begins in October, reaching its peak between December and February. Getting your flu shot this fall is the most effective strategy to shield yourself from the flu.

As of May 11, Duke no longer mandates COVID-19 vaccines. However, the University "strongly recommends getting up-to-date vaccinations" for the disease. 

Since the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency ended in September, Duke no longer provides COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters, and students will need to get them through pharmacies or their health care provider.

Where and when can I get vaccinated?

Duke Student Affairs is providing flu vaccines with no appointments needed. Here are the hours and locations when you can receive walk-in flu vaccinations through Duke Student Affairs, including the offerings scheduled for this week: 

According to Duke Student Affairs, students who receive the vaccine from an outside source must upload their documentation to the Student Health Gateway or email their documentation to immunizations@duke.edu.

What should I do if I feel sick? 

If you feel sick, call Student Health during business hours at (919) 681-9355 and choose option 2 to speak to a triage nurse if you are experiencing any symptoms related to COVID-19, such as a cough, fever or fatigue.  

The hotline is open Monday through Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The hotline is not available from noon to 1 p.m. or on the weekend. 

Free antigen tests provided by the government are available for students from COVID.gov. Surveillance testing is available, but no longer required. However, those unvaccinated remain at higher risk for severe illness and should consider getting vaccinated to protect themselves and others from severe illness. 

Duke students, faculty and staff can also get rapid antigen tests at no charge from Duke Stores with a valid DukeCard ID, limited to one test kit per person per week.

If any employee experiences COVID-19 symptoms, they should not report to work and complete the My COVID Link using Duke login credentials and call the Duke COVID hotline at (919) 385-0429, selecting option 1 for employees. 

Contacting the hotline will enable you to register with Employee Health and complete the Duke employee survey. Employee Health will contact you within 24 hours. Employees must remain in self-isolation until cleared by Employee Health to return to work.

More information can be found on Duke’s COVID Website.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's guide to fall vaccinations at Duke” on social media.