Duke men's basketball head coach Jon Scheyer signs 6-year extension, keeping him with program through 2028-2029 season

Jon Scheyer coaches from the sidelines during the ACC tournament.

Year two may just be starting, but Duke locked in head coach Jon Scheyer for six more. 

Per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski Friday evening, Scheyer has signed a six-year extension, keeping him in Durham through the 2028-29 season. The news drops just an hour before the Blue Devils’ Countdown to Craziness scrimmage tips off, the team’s first official play of the year. The program confirmed the news in a Saturday release.

"Duke is my home and it's an honor to lead the program that has meant so much to me and my family,“ Scheyer said in the release. “I'm excited about our team this season and we're looking forward to getting started."

Scheyer was named as former head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s successor in June 2021 and saw immediate success in his first year at the helm of the program. Duke finished the regular season 23-8 with an undefeated home slate before taking home the ACC tournament title in Greensboro, N.C. The Blue Devils couldn’t hit that same stride in the NCAA tournament, falling in the second round to Tennessee and ending Scheyer’s first year on a sour note for a team heralded by some as potential title contenders. 

Scheyer is primed for another competitive season, returning four starters and bringing in the nation’s No. 2 recruiting class. Duke takes on UNC Pembroke in an exhibition matchup Nov. 1, but plays its first official game against Dartmouth Nov. 6 in Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

Rachael Kaplan profile
Rachael Kaplan | Sports Managing Editor

Rachael Kaplan is a Trinity junior and sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball head coach Jon Scheyer signs 6-year extension, keeping him with program through 2028-2029 season” on social media.