Letter: College faculty support educators and students in both Palestine and Israel

letters to the editor

We are college and university faculty who met in Jerusalem in 2022 as part of an effort to understand the conflict, improve our teaching and support our Palestinian and Israeli colleagues in their commitment to education, democracy, justice and peace. We each came away humbled by the commitment of so many colleagues to a better future.

In this terrible moment, we reaffirm our support for educators and students in Gaza, the West Bank and Israel. At its core, education is a promise to the future. All sides must immediately cease attacking civilians; release hostages safely; protect schools, hospitals and places of worship; respect human rights and work together for a peaceful, equitable future. Attacks on infrastructure — including electricity — are war crimes.

We support the right of both peoples to self-determination. The military occupation must end.

We also want to let our own learning communities — which include Muslims, Christians and Jews; Israelis and Palestinians; and families desperate to protect loved ones — know that we are raising our voices in defense of all civilians.

We are all part of a beloved community that must find a way to share in the wealth of the earth.

Signed:

Robin Kirk — Duke University

Jeffrey McCully — Moraine Valley Community College

Ellen Olmstead — Montgomery College (Maryland)

Martha Schoolman — Florida International University

Marcela Vásquez-León — University of Arizona

Beverly Wagner — University of Maine at Presque Isle

Share and discuss “Letter: College faculty support educators and students in both Palestine and Israel” on social media.