2023 Northwestern football season preview

2022 Season: 1-11, 1-8 in the Big Ten (7th in the West)

Head Coach: David Braun (1st season) 

As if their on-the-field issues weren’t enough, the offseason was marred with scandal for the Wildcats. With severe hazing allegations breaking in July, the subsequent firing of longtime head coach Pat Fitzgerald have forced Northwestern to turn over a new leaf – whether they wanted it or not. 

There was not much success in Fitzgerald’s final season, as the Wildcats’ lone win last season came against Nebraska as they squeaked by, 31-28. The come-from-behind victory was propelled by two late Cornhusker interceptions. However, following this week one win, the team dropped 11 straight. 

Senior quarterback Ryan Hilinski bringings experience and stability to the new era of Northwestern football and interim head coach David Braun. Hilinski recorded a 55.8 completion percentage for the 2022 season, including throwing for 435 yards and two touchdowns. However, in eight games last season, Hilinski only threw for six touchdowns and rushed for two.

In order to find better success this upcoming season, Northwestern will have to increase its offensive production. The team scored in the single digits six times, including the last four games of the season. 

Current interim head coach David Braun was originally brought onto the team as the defensive coordinator in 2023, but was quickly promoted to interim head coach after the hazing allegations broke. A former defensive lineman at Winona State and defensive coordinator at North Dakota State, this is Braun’s first head coaching position. 

Time will tell whether this forced new leaf does Northwestern football any good. The change at head coach is a chance to move on from the past two seasons of dismal football and off-the-field issues, but it may still take multiple seasons for the Wildcats to repeat the success from teams of the late 2010’s. 

Share and discuss “2023 Northwestern football season preview” on social media.