Prop bets for Duke football vs. UConn

Graduate student running back Jordan Waters will look to improve on a hot start to his season against UConn.

Duke looks to maintain its undefeated record as it heads on the road for the first time this season. As the Blue Devils prepare to face UConn on Saturday, the Blue Zone has you covered with some can’t-miss prop bets:

Duke (-22) at UConn

In a battle between two schools recently named in the Top 10 by the U.S. News and World Report national rankings, Duke prevailed both on and off the field against Northwestern. The game was no large contest, as the 18th-ranked Blue Devils, led by five rushing touchdowns, outperformed the Wildcats in all facets of the game.

Duke has outscored its opponents 108-28 so far this season, and its experienced defense is putting the ACC on notice. UConn, on the other hand, has struggled, losing its first three games by an average of two scores — including a closer 10-point loss to the Blue Devils’ in-state rival NC State to open the season. Senior quarterback Joseph Fagnano, who started the first two games for the Huskies, is now out for the season with a shoulder injury he suffered in a loss to Georgia State. The ball will be in the hands of redshirt junior backup Ta’Quan Roberson for the second-straight game when Duke comes to town. Roberson proved capable against FIU last week, leading two drives at the end of the game to pull UConn close late, although it was not enough, as the Huskies fell at home 24-17. Roberson may prove to be even more confident this week, but the Blue Devils should look to capitalize off the Penn State transfer’s inexperience to get ahead early. 

Strong opposing quarterback play has hurt UConn thus far, and if junior Riley Leonard continues to impress, expect Duke to pull away and leave Pratt & Whitney Stadium with a big victory. The Blue Devils need to use this game as a final tune-up before powerhouse Notre Dame arrives in Durham for a sold-out, primetime game next week. 

Pick: Duke -22 

Over/Under 45 total points

Duke has scored on its first drive in every game this season, and its offense has outpaced all opponents so far. Averaging 36 points-per-game to UConn’s 15, there is no reason to expect the offense to let off the gas now. Leonard still has yet to turn the ball over and is ranked eighth in the nation in QBR by ESPN, and the weapons around him are only getting better. Graduate student running back Jordan Waters is coming off a two-touchdown game against Northwestern, and senior receiver Jalon Calhoun also had five catches for 112 yards against the Wildcats. These two will likely continue to perform well against a weaker Husky defense. 

The Blue Devils are 2-for-3 in covering the spread so far this year, with the only blip coming when they came just one point short against Lafayette in a game marred by rain. The narrative for this energizing team is the offense doing its job with the defense stepping up time and time again. Expect an offensive-led blowout in favor of Duke as it continues to impress. 

Pick: Over 45

Jordan Waters Over/Under 70.5 rushing yards 

Waters has been tearing up the field so far this season, totaling 240 rushing yards with five scores. Combined with the scrambling ability of Leonard, the ground game has been an integral part of the Blue Devils’ success so far this season. UConn has allowed an average of 179.7 yards per game against schools objectively much weaker than Duke. With Waters being the main focal point of the the Blue Devils' run game, expect him to have a big day in Connecticut.

Pick: Over 70.5

Share and discuss “Prop bets for Duke football vs. UConn” on social media.