Duke in the NFL: 2023 season preview

<p>Quarterback Daniel Jones will look to live up to his newly-minted contract in his 2023-24 campaign.</p>

Quarterback Daniel Jones will look to live up to his newly-minted contract in his 2023-24 campaign.

With the NFL season on the horizon, several former Blue Devils are preparing for an exciting year in the pros. The Blue Zone analyzes their projected impacts:

Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants

Following a 2022 campaign that saw major improvement in passing and rushing, as well as the Giants’ first playoff victory in over a decade, Daniel Jones was rewarded with a four-year, $160 million contract by New York in free agency. This is a welcome vote of confidence from the team’s front office, especially after a rough start to the Charlotte, N.C., native’s career that made his 2022 performance all the more critical for his future prospects.

The Giants’ outlook for the season largely hinges on whether Jones can improve upon last year’s campaign. While the team does have star running back Saquon Barkley and recent Coach of the Year Brian Daboll, they play in one of the toughest divisions in football; the Eagles and Cowboys both are strong Super Bowl contenders this season in the NFC East. New York’s receiving room is still lacking, but the squad added talented rookie Jalin Hyatt in the draft and former Colt Parris Campbell, who is coming off of a career year.

All in all, a four-year contract is a nice reward for the former Blue Devil, but with it comes expectations of success and improvement. To truly live up to his price tag, Jones must continue to elevate his game heading into 2023.

Noah Gray, TE, Kansas City Chiefs

In 2022, Noah Gray had a career season, catching 28 passes for 299 yards and a touchdown. His individual production was low thanks to Travis Kelce being ahead of him in the tight end room, but the Leominster, Mass., native still managed to start eight of 17 games, showing the Chiefs’ willingness to play in two-tight end sets.

For now, Kelce’s receiving connection with quarterback and defending league MVP Patrick Mahomes remains the preeminent one across the league. In year three, however, Gray should still receive a solid share of targets from the Texas Tech product. Don’t be surprised if his production increases, too. After all, the miles could start to take a toll on Kelce, and there’s always room for breakout stars on a Mahomes-run offense.

Laken Tomlinson, G, New York Jets

Following a successful run with the 49ers in which he was named a Pro Bowler, Laken Tomlinson’s first season with the Jets was a disappointment. Renowned for his run-blocking skills, the Chicago, Ill., native graded as the seventh-worst guard in that department by Pro Football Focus (PFF) in 2022. However, Tomlinson was significantly better as a pass-protector for the New York volatile quarterback room last season, all the more important this year with future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers now under center. The Blue Devil alum will be asked to fortify the offensive line in order for the former Green Bay Packer to operate more efficiently in the Jets’ system. 

Michael Carter II, CB, New York Jets

In contrast to their lackluster offense, New York’s defense in 2022 was strong, allowing the second-fewest points per drive in the league, and Michael Carter II contributed valuably to that. The former Blue Devil was graded as one of the best corners in the league by PFF last season, and he and the rest of the Jets’ secondary will look to maintain their defensive prowess in 2023. Carter still figures to be the next man up in an already-strong secondary, but don’t expect him to be an afterthought in a team with strong playoff aspirations.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: 2023 season preview” on social media.