Sportswrap: Football stays undefeated, men's soccer notches first ACC win of season

Quarterback Riley Leonard releases the ball during Duke's Saturday win against Lafayette.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of Sept. 4-10.

Football

Just five days later, No. 21 Duke ran it back. After its program-altering win against Clemson, who has since dropped out of the rankings, the Blue Devils (2-0, 1-0 in the ACC) returned to Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium to take on Lafayette. The game was only close for about a quarter, until Duke scored 35 unanswered following the Leopards’ opening-drive touchdown, earning the win 42-7. Quarterbacks Riley Leonard and Henry Belin IV were a combined 20-for-20 in the air, with the team’s only incompletion a second-quarter spike from Leonard. Graduate running back Jordan Waters set a personal best with 112 yards on the ground and added two scores of his own. Up next is a Saturday date with Northwestern at home at 3:30 p.m. -Rachael Kaplan

Men’s soccer

No. 10 Duke stayed home this weekend in anticipation of its upcoming two-week stretch on the road. Koskinen Stadium treated the Blue Devils (4-0-1, 1-0) well. On Friday night, they boasted a 2-0 shutout of visiting Virginia to kick off ACC play in winning style. The match featured a second career goal from freshman striker Ulfur Bjornsson as well as a clever score from junior midfielder Ruben Mesalles — notched in the first and second halves, respectively. Duke looks to continue its undefeated status in the conference Friday evening at Clemson. -Sophie Levenson

Women’s soccer

No. 14 Duke got back in the winning circle this week, as it earned a 2-0 victory against East Carolina Thursday. Sophomore phenom Kat Rader, who was shutout in the Blue Devils’ 4-0 defeat against Stanford last Saturday, opened the scoring in record-breaking fashion with the team’s fastest goal of the season. Senior Katie Groff got in on the party with another corner-kick goal off a service from sophomore Devin Lynch. Duke (3-2) will play UNC Greensboro in a postponed matchup Monday before opening ACC competition at Boston College Sunday. -Mackenzie Sheehy

Field hockey

With an overtime win Sunday afternoon, No. 13 Duke went undefeated this week with wins against Longwood and No. 9 Liberty. The Blue Devils (4-1) hammered the Lancers Friday at home 9-0, with graduate student Hannah Miller putting up an 11-point performance. On Sunday afternoon, Duke beat the Flames in overtime 2-1 courtesy of an unassisted game-winning goal from sophomore Alaina McVeigh, who has scored in every outing this season. The Blue Devils next take on Syracuse to open their ACC slate at home Friday at 6 p.m. -Anna Newberry 

Volleyball

The Blue Devils had a busy schedule this week, with one game at home and two on the road. After defeating Elon quickly Tuesday 3-0, Duke (6-2) traveled to face both Michigan State and Michigan in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. While the Blue Devils won in straight sets Friday against the Spartans, the set scores were close — 25-19, 25-22, 25-22. In a similarly tough clash with the Wolverines, the Blue Devils continued to demonstrate their resilience Saturday and won in four sets. Coming up, Duke faces a Wednesday match at N.C. Central before a Friday-Saturday series against Coastal Carolina and Santa Clara. -Newberry

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Football stays undefeated, men's soccer notches first ACC win of season” on social media.