Co-Lab and DukeCard services temporarily relocated after flooding

The Duke Telecommunications Building, which houses the DukeCard Office and the Technology Engagement Center, was flooded on Aug. 2. 

Priority repairs to the DukeCard office are expected to be completed next week, according to an email from Frank Tramble, vice president of communications, marketing and public affairs.

“The plan is for work on the Co-Lab Studio and most other student-facing areas of the building to be complete by school opening,” Tramble wrote. “Repairs to other back-of-the-house spaces will continue into September, but with minimal impact to the occupants.”

The DukeCard office has been relocated to the Link in the basement of Perkins Library. Those looking for in-person assistance from the DukeCard office can schedule an appointment here or call (919) 684-5800. 

Co-Lab services like 3D printers can be accessed at the TEC’s satellite locations in Lilly Library and the Rubenstein Arts Center. Previous 3D prints can be picked up in front of the Telecommunications Building. 

“The flooding of the Telcom Building was caused by the failure of a pipe fitting on the chilled water system that cools the building,” Tramble wrote. “The building alarms quickly notified staff of the problem, greatly reducing the impact.”

Tramble also noted that there was “no serious damage” to the building’s equipment, and all affected areas have already been dried out. The University is currently working on replacing “small areas of drywall, carpet and tile,” with repairs set to finish in coming weeks. 

This is not the first time that faulty pipes resulted in flooding and temporary closures. The Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture is expected to reopen fall 2023 after a burst pipe caused significant water damage to parts of the Flowers Building and Page Auditorium. The Reuben-Cooke Building’s basement offices were evacuated after a pipe ruptured over winter break. 

Jazper Lu profile
Jazper Lu | Managing Editor

Jazper Lu is a Trinity junior and managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Co-Lab and DukeCard services temporarily relocated after flooding” on social media.