Duke Centennial infrastructure projects to limit Chapel Drive vehicle access

In order to “promote safety during ongoing construction,” vehicle access on Chapel Drive between the roundabout and the Chapel will be temporarily restricted, according to an Aug. 10 release and a Monday email sent from Vice President of Operations Russel Thompson to all Duke students.

Starting Monday, the affected section of Chapel Drive will only be accessible for Duke buses, vans and other authorized vehicles from 7 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., including those used by “event services, parcel delivery, and approved vendors.” 

The affected section will remain accessible for ADA-related transportation, as well as pedestrian, scooter and bicycle traffic. Those with specific accessibility requirements can contact the Duke Disability Management System.

The section will not be accessible for any motorized vehicles outside these arranged hours, and it will be off-limits for personal vehicles, rideshare services and campus visitors at all times. 

It was not immediately clear how long these changes would be in place, though Thompson's email read that the changes from the roundabout to the Chapel would be in place “through the construction period.” Duke Student Affairs and Parking & Transportation were also unable to confirm an estimate for a return to normal operations in time for publication. 

“These changes reflect Duke’s unwavering commitment to the safety of all students, faculty, staff, visitors and construction workers,” Thompson wrote. “Officials will continue to evaluate transportation needs and access for this segment of Chapel Drive moving forward.”

The section was closed throughout the summer for construction, allowing for "significant progress on several needed infrastructure projects designed to vastly improve campus in anticipation of Duke’s Centennial in 2024 and beyond."

The projects include the repair and replacement of the bluestone walkways and asphalt and granite curbs, the installation of raised crosswalks and the removal of specific parking spaces in order to “improve safety and restore the original, historic design.”

Student move-in vehicle access

Temporary vehicle access will be granted as students move in later this month, according to the email.

On Aug. 22 and from Aug. 25 to Aug. 27, access to the affected section will be temporarily granted for vehicles with an unloading zone pass, which will be made available at the scheduled move-in day’s check-in. 

West Quad residents will be permitted to park on one side of Chapel Drive from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Aug 25 to Aug 27. During other move-in days, residents may park along one side of Few Building. 

Jazper Lu profile
Jazper Lu | Managing Editor

Jazper Lu is a Trinity junior and managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke Centennial infrastructure projects to limit Chapel Drive vehicle access” on social media.