Duke in the FIBA World Cup: Former Blue Devils represent their countries, advance to second round

Former Blue Devil Paolo Banchero has made an impact as the youngest player on Team USA.

At the FIBA World Cup this summer, a number of Duke alumni are competing on behalf of their respective countries. The Blue Zone is here to take a look at their performances:

Banchero shines in opener

Following a strong Rookie of the Year campaign, Orlando Magic star Paolo Banchero was selected as the youngest player on Team USA for its FIBA World Cup campaign. After earning solid action in exhibition play, Banchero was on fire in the team’s opening match Saturday against New Zealand, scoring 21 points off the bench on 8-of-10 shooting. The former No. 1 overall pick also registered four rebounds and four blocks in his 19 minutes of play. Against Greece Monday, Banchero was able to get to the foul line consistently, making 6-of-8 free throws. Since the United States qualified for the second round, Banchero will remain an important piece for their projected deep tournament run.

Ingram wavers as a starter

On a United States team filled with stars like Jalen Brunson and Anthony Edwards, one player was destined to be the odd man out. Unfortunately for the Blue Devil faithful, that player is New Orleans Pelicans forward Brandon Ingram, who recently voiced his frustration over his role on the team. Over the team’s first two wins, Ingram — who started both games — combined for just seven points and played significantly less than much of the team’s roster. Ingram played better as a bench player against Jordan Wednesday, contributing seven points and five assists. The former Blue Devil’s role with the United States remains to be solidified, but he surely hopes to make a more dominant impact with Team USA.

Barrett closes out first round strong

RJ Barrett’s professional career has been defined by its inconsistency, and the FIBA World Cup initially looked to be no exception. In Canada’s first matchup against France, the former Blue Devil had a rough shooting night, going 1-for-10 from the field and scoring only five points. However, his six boards and five assists helped Canada defeat France in a 30-point victory. Then, Sunday against Lebanon, Barrett showed improvement, leading Canada with 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting while adding three assists in a 55-point blowout victory. Barrett continued his play in a win against Latvia Tuesday, scoring 22 points on 9-of-14 shooting while grabbing five boards Barrett will need to continue to play up to his starting role if Canada, now onto the second round, hopes to make a deep run in this World Cup.

White falters against Germany

After winning a title with the Denver Nuggets in his first season in the NBA, Jack White has played below a championship pedigree for Australia so far. While he was solid in 15 minutes of play in Friday’s win against Finland, scoring seven points, White bottomed out in a close loss against Germany. He attempted no shots and committed four turnovers Sunday, only receiving nine minutes of action. Australia qualified for the second round with a comfortable win over Japan, with White only on the court for 75 seconds. The former Blue Devil will seek to offer more as a bench player heading into the second round of play for Australia.

Share and discuss “Duke in the FIBA World Cup: Former Blue Devils represent their countries, advance to second round” on social media.