Film room: Analyzing Duke men's basketball forward TJ Power

Incoming forward TJ Power is one of four incoming freshman in head coach Jon Scheyer's recruiting class.

Duke men’s basketball is adding an exciting new class of signees and transfers for head coach Jon Scheyer’s second season at the helm, and the Blue Zone is here to analyze film on each of the incoming Blue Devils. We have already looked at Jared McCain, Neal Begovich, Sean Stewart and Caleb Foster. Next up is TJ Power: 

Jon Scheyer’s second freshman recruiting class features four-star recruit TJ Power, a 6-foot-9 power forward hailing from Shrewsbury, Mass. Power’s combination of size, shooting ability and ball handling skills will serve as an asset for a Duke team already loaded with versatile players. 

In his high school years with Worcester Academy, Power led his team to back-to-back NEPSAC Class AA titles in his final two years with the program. Power even earned the Massachusetts’ Gatorade Player of the Year award his junior year. Due to a transfer from St. Johns High School, Power reclassified, and thus the forward enters Duke as a five-year high school player. 

While Power may not have the same reputation as the rest of his incoming freshmen, Scheyer will surely utilize yet another floor-stretching presence to his stacked roster. Currently, Power looks to be Duke’s fourth forward, likely not overtaking fellow freshman Sean Stewart and returning sophmores Kyle Filipowski and Mark Mitchell in the depth chart. 

One of Power’s most notable high school games came as a junior, as he tallied an impressive 26 points and 11 rebounds in the NEPSAC Class AA championship game to capture his first NEPSAC title. In that game, watch how Power is able to use his dribble to blow by a defender and finish with authority. (1:06) Later in that same matchup, Power finds the pocket in the defense and knocks down a three. (1:25)

Power’s versatility on the offensive end makes him a legitimate threat in the ACC. A three-level scorer, Power can play in the post, hit the midrange jumper or step out from three. In this clip, notice how Power backs down his defender and compliments the move with a nice finish. Immediately following, Power displays his vision while driving to the basket. (0:07)

In his first year with the Blue Devils, Power will be surrounded by top recruits and established ACC stars. To receive a place in a crowded rotation, the forward must earn the respect of opponents as a scorer. As shown in the clip below, Power did just that in high school. Although not the eventual scorer, watch how Power shields the defender off with his handle, draws a double team and finds his teammate. (2:10)

There’s no doubt that Power has the offensive toolkit to make an impact for Duke this winter. However, the frontcourt is crowded, so the Shrewsbury native’s eventual effect on this team is unknown. Duke will be looking to contend for a National Championship this March, and strong three-level scoring from Power would be a huge addition to a talented roster. 

Share and discuss “Film room: Analyzing Duke men's basketball forward TJ Power” on social media.