Film room: Analyzing Duke men's basketball guard Caleb Foster

Caleb Foster was a five-star recruit and ranked No. 22 nationally before coming to Duke.

Duke men’s basketball is adding an exciting new class of signees and transfers for head coach Jon Scheyer’s second season at the helm, and the Blue Zone is here to analyze film on each of the incoming Blue Devils. We have already looked at Jared McCain, Neal Begovich and Sean Stewart. Next up is Caleb Foster:

Joining perhaps the deepest backcourt in the country is Caleb Foster. The local Harrisburg, N.C., native is returning to the East Coast after spending his final high school year at Notre Dame in California. Foster made the most of his time out west, averaging 21.4 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game in his senior season. That performance comes after a dominant run on the Nike EYBL circuit, averaging 28.3 points per game in his final session in Kansas City last summer. 

Foster’s greatest strength is on the offensive end. In the clip below, he drives through defenders and finishes in the paint, sinking the layup and getting the and-one.

While adept at creating his own opportunities, the 6-foot-5 guard is a true floor general, spreading the ball and opening shots for his teammates. 

In the above clip, Foster makes a lane for himself, driving through the key around his defender. When he encountered traffic and his shot was off target, he followed the ball, grabbing his own rebound and kicking it up to his teammate for a wide-open triple. 

The long ball itself is a key part of Foster’s arsenal. 

In this clip from the 2022 Nike Peach Jam, patience was the guard’s greatest virtue. Ready and waiting, wide open outside the arc while his teammates moved the ball, Foster received that inevitable pass. The sidestep and hesitation allowed the defender to blow by the Notre Dame product, and he drained the clear shot. 

Head coach Jon Scheyer will have no shortage of options at guard this season. Even with veterans Tyrese Proctor and Jeremy Roach likely to lock up two starting spots, Foster is a valuable and dynamic addition to the Blue Devil rotation. 

Rachael Kaplan profile
Rachael Kaplan | Sports Managing Editor

Rachael Kaplan is a Trinity junior and sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Film room: Analyzing Duke men's basketball guard Caleb Foster” on social media.