The Chronicle’s guide to celebrating the Fourth of July in the Triangle

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

In town for the Fourth of July? The Chronicle has you covered. From fireworks to pig pickin’s, here are some ways to celebrate Independence Day in the Triangle. 

Food, festivals and fun

For outdoor music, food and crafts in one of Durham’s beautiful natural parks, head to EnoFest at West Point on the Eno River. The festival opens at 10 a.m. and ends at 6 p.m., and celebrations include over 30 bands, an open market with regional artisans and North Carolina food trucks and vendors. Tickets cost $35 per adult, and proceeds go to Eno River educational and environmental programs.

For an intimate and friendly Independence Day celebration full of neighborhood traditions, check out the 74th annual Watts-Hillandale Fourth of July Parade beginning at 10 a.m. in Durham’s Oval Park. This gathering is the oldest Fourth of July celebration in Durham and will feature flag-hanging, marching, songs, food and drinks. This family-friendly event is open to everyone.

If you like farm animals, music and barbecue, head to Pickin’ on the Pond at Old Mill Farm in Durham. Celebrations begin at 11 a.m. and include live bluegrass music and Carolina Moe’s BBQ. Admission is $12 or $30 with food. 

For a traditional Independence Day celebration, the Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration in Chapel Hill offers a concert by The Village Band, free ice cream, lemonade and flags. The festivities take place on the Horace Williams House Grounds and last from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Event planners recommend bringing lawn chairs or blankets. 

Join the town of Cary’s Independence Day Celebration at Koka Booth Amphitheatre for music by the Cary Town Band and the North Carolina Symphony, with fireworks over Symphony Lake following the performances. The celebration also includes activities like axe throwing and magic shows and will feature food trucks and concessions. Admission is free, and the celebration starts at 3:30 p.m. 

For a town-organized Fourth of July celebration in Apex, NC, check out the Olde Fashioned Fourth of July. The event will begin with a speech from the mayor and will include food trucks, face painting, carnival games, a kids’ parade and a fire department splashdown. Celebrations run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and admission is free. 

If you are celebrating with children, consider the Children’s Independence Day Parade at Durham Central Park from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Children and adults can decorate bikes, wagons and strollers, and the parade will include free popsicles and fire truck tours. 

The town of Wake Forest is also hosting a children’s parade on the Fourth. The Wake Forest Children’s Parade will begin at 10 a.m., and participants are encouraged to wear their favorite red white and blue attire and can either walk, be pulled along in a wagon or ride on bikes. 

Educational and historical celebrations

If you are a history buff in Raleigh on the Fourth, the Independence Day Celebration on the NC State Capitol’s south grounds from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. may be the way to spend your Independence Day. The event will feature live music, self-guided tours of the Capitol, activities for children, a naturalization ceremony, a reading from the Declaration of Independence and a wreath laying at the George Washington monument. Participants will also be able to “pie the redcoat” and are encouraged to dress up in Revolutionary War-era clothes.

In Carrboro, enjoy a bike and wagon decorating contest, a parade, a pie eating contest, live music and a reading of Frederick Douglass’ Fourth of July speech at the Carrboro Community Fourth of July Celebration. Celebrations last from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Carrboro Town Commons.

Fireworks

End the night by watching a spectacular firework show at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park after the Durham Bulls game. Guests may gain free entry at the end of the seventh inning if the stadium is not full, but spectators should purchase a ticket to guarantee a prime viewing spot. The game starts at 6:35 p.m. and fireworks begin at 9:45 p.m. 

From 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., head to the city of Raleigh’s July Fourth Fireworks Celebration at Dix Park for food trucks, music, and family activities. Admission is free to the public, and fireworks will begin at 9:30 p.m. You can also find fireworks in Raleigh at the Spangled Block Party and Fireworks Show in the clock tower area at the Brier Creek Commons Shopping Center. Starting at 8 p.m., enjoy face painting, a DJ and a fireworks show. 

In Chapel Hill, watch fireworks at Southern Community Park, where thousands of community members will gather on blankets and in chairs beginning at 7 p.m. Fireworks are expected to begin around 9:20 p.m. 

Zoe Spicer profile
Zoe Spicer | Staff Reporter

Zoe Spicer is a Trinity junior and a features managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s guide to celebrating the Fourth of July in the Triangle” on social media.