The Chronicle’s guide to celebrating Pride Month in the Triangle

As people gear up for a June full of festivities, the Triangle area is celebrating Pride Month with a host of events ranging from comedy shows to food truck rodeos. 

Durham Pride Pop Up Market at Hi-Wire Brewing

The Durham Pride Pop Up Market will take place in the courtyard at Durham's Golden Belt Campus on June 10 from noon to 9 p.m. A pop-up market featuring some of Durham’s artisanal goods will be from noon to 5 p.m., while a drag show featuring Chloe Cassidy will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. 

The drag show is free, but advance reservations to guarantee group seating at 10-top tables can be made for $80.

'The House of Coxx: It's Funny, Girl!'

House of Coxx mother Vivica C. Coxx will host the comedy variety show as the mistress of comedy at the Carolina Theatre of Durham on June 16 at 8 p.m. With her co-mistress of comedy Stormie Daie, Coxx promises a “a fast-paced, drag-fueled night of social justice comedy rooted in love and hope for a better world.” 

A dollar of each ticket purchase will be donated to the LGBTQ Center of Durham, with ticket prices starting at $26. 

Small Town Pride events 

Small Town Pride is a series of celebrations and events hosted by Carrboro and Chapel Hill to “recognize local LGBTQ+ leaders, artists and activists, and highlight history, resources and businesses.” The celebrations include everything from open mic nights to a rainbow ram statue. 

Carrboro Recreation’s Parks and Cultural Resources Department will host an open mic night celebrating LGBTQ+ pride with works from local poets over Zoom on June 6 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Organizers from El Centro Hispano will host Orgullo Latinx Pride at Carrboro Town Commons, which will include local food trucks, a drag show and a DJ, while also providing social, healthcare and advocacy resources on June 10 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

On June 30, the city of Carrboro will host its Pride food truck rodeo and dance party from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Carrboro Town Commons. Local officials will roll “Rainbow Ram,” a 4-foot tall colorful statue, from the Carrboro Century Center to the Town Commons for the party at 4:30 p.m.

Raleigh PrideFest

Raleigh PrideFest is a month-long celebration of pride with panel discussions, fundraisers and celebrations in collaboration with the city’s community partners. 

Featuring local LGBTQ+ artists, the Art of Queer Resistance panel will be held at Artspace in collaboration with Raleigh Pride on June 8 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. ArtSpace will also host the Reimagining Blackness panel discussing the intersection of Blackness with the arts, with a focus on Black masculinity on June 22 from 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. The Spaces for Queer Joy panel Discussion will discuss the need for the preservation of Queer nightlife spaces from local DJs and event producers on June 15 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

GAG!, an LGBTQ+ party event series, will collaborate with Girls Room, a party curated by queer women to highlight women, nonbinary people and minorities in music and art for its GAG! Presents: Girls Room Pride party on June 23 from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. The rules? Make us gag, don’t make us gag, don’t gag, be a gag and don’t be a gag. Tickets for the 21-plus event start at $10. 

The Out! Raleigh Pride Festival will return for its 11th year on June 24 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Open with activities for all ages and without an admissions fee, the event is integral for fundraising for the LGBT Center of Raleigh. 

Zoe Spicer profile
Zoe Spicer | Staff Reporter

Zoe Spicer is a Trinity junior and a features managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s guide to celebrating Pride Month in the Triangle” on social media.