Duke men's basketball forward Dariq Whitehead selected 22nd overall by Nets in 2023 NBA draft

Dariq Whitehead attempts a three during Duke's opening-round NCAA tournament victory against Oral Roberts.

On Thursday evening, freshman forward Dariq Whitehead was selected by the Brooklyn Nets with the 22nd pick in the 2023 NBA draft. He is the second Duke player selected in this year’s draft, joining fellow freshman and first-rounder Dereck Lively II.

The former five-star prospect dealt with injury throughout most of his year with the Blue Devils due to a preseason foot surgery and a calf strain suffered in January. Because the first foot surgery did not heal properly, the Montverde Academy product underwent a second procedure earlier this month ahead of the NBA draft. Whitehead did not participate in pre-draft workouts but his potential and pure talent was enough to secure a spot in the first round. 

The Newark, N.J., native averaged 8.3 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in his lone season at Duke. Whitehead was the team’s best 3-point shooter, connecting at a 42.9% clip from behind the arc. He showed flashes of brilliance through the season — namely a four-game double-figures scoring stretch which culminated in a career-high 18 points against Boston College — but he struggled to consistently produce.  

Despite the injuries, Whitehead’s NBA potential was clear, as his shot-creating ability and slashing skills were on display throughout the season. He can score off the dribble and on catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, while also being a threat to attack the basket and finish at the rim. Whitehead’s size translates well to the professional ranks, and the 6-foot-7 wing has plenty of athleticism that will surely benefit the Nets

Whitehead joins a Brooklyn unit that finished sixth in the Eastern Conference.

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball forward Dariq Whitehead selected 22nd overall by Nets in 2023 NBA draft” on social media.