Duke baseball freshman Andrew Fischer announces transfer to Ole Miss

Freshman Andrew Fischer set the freshman home run record in his only season with Duke.

Just 10 days after the Blue Devils’ season ended in the Super Regionals against Virginia, freshman third baseman and second at-bat Andrew Fischer announced Wednesday via social media that he is transferring to 2022 national champion Ole Miss.

Named to the ACC All-Freshman team, Fischer set a Duke freshman record by hitting 11 home runs in his rookie campaign. His biggest homer of the year came in a decisive game-three victory against Boston College, when Fischer crushed a go-ahead, three-run shot in the ninth. 

The lefty slugger also drove in 33 while hitting .289, and he spent the majority of the season at the top of the order. Fischer started 45 games as a freshman, tied with Tyler Albright for most among the rookies.

The Manasquan, N.J., native spent most of the year starting at the hot corner, but moved from third base to designated hitter after breaking his hamate bone. After returning from his injury, Fischer’s offensive production was limited, as he totaled just three RBIs and one home run. 

While Fischer’s departure is certainly a blow, head coach Chris Pollard still has plenty of time to look to the transfer portal himself and reconstruct a team that can build on this year’s momentum. After scoring LSU transfer Giovanni DiGiacomo a year ago, the Blue Devils will again be in search of a left-handed bat.

Dom Fenoglio | Sports Managing Editor

Dom Fenoglio is a Trinity sophomore and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke baseball freshman Andrew Fischer announces transfer to Ole Miss” on social media.