Five-star forward Toby Fournier commits to Duke women's basketball

Head coach Kara Lawson signed her first recruit from the class of 2024.

Head coach Kara Lawson just added another big recruit.

Five-star class of 2024 forward Toby Fournier announced her commitment to Duke Wednesday on Twitter. Fournier, a 6-foot-2 native of Toronto, is the No. 13 overall recruit in her class.

Fournier is the first official recruit from the class of 2024, and she projects to be a strong inside presence defensively that can leap on the offensive end. She has gone viral for in-game dunks, and even said she dunked for the first time at age 12. Her wingspan and athleticism will fit in well with Lawson’s aggressive defensive style and add fluidity to the transition offense.

Last summer, Fournier competed for the Canadian U17 national team in the World Cup, where she broke double digits three times, including two double-doubles. As she continues to develop into a more efficient scorer, Lawson can consider playing her alongside other bigs at the four or even the three.

Currently, Duke retains Kennedy Brown and Yale transfer Camilla Emsbo as its primary post options, but both players will graduate by the time Fournier arrives on campus. The Canadian hooper will join four 2023 recruits, including fellow forwards Delaney Thomas and Jordan Wood.

After the Blue Devils lost multiple players to the transfer portal, including the backcourt duo of Celeste Taylor and Shayeann Day-Wilson (also a Toronto native), Fournier is a welcome addition to Duke’s roster. As Lawson continues to build the program into a national contender, scoring top recruits is an essential component.

Dom Fenoglio | Assistant Blue Zone editor

Dom Fenoglio is a Trinity sophomore and an assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Five-star forward Toby Fournier commits to Duke women's basketball” on social media.