After fall housing shortage, Duke says it will have enough on-campus housing for spring

After facing an on-campus housing shortage during the fall semester, Duke will have enough bed space for all students who apply for spring housing, according to Ali Harrison, senior associate dean for residence life.

Housing and Residence Life is still “experiencing higher than normal demand for on campus housing” and cannot guarantee all roommate requests will be met, Harrison wrote in an email to The Chronicle. As of Dec. 4, 22 students have not yet received spring housing assignments.

In the fall, the shortage was due to a larger than expected class size for the Class of 2025 and an increased demand from the Class of 2023 to live on-campus after the pandemic interrupted campus life for several semesters, HRL Dean Deb Lo Biondo previously told The Chronicle.

Harrison wrote that there was a 97% occupancy rate this fall semester, as compared to the 90% occupancy rate that would have been typical pre-COVID.

To relieve some of the demand, HRL offered incoming juniors the opportunity to be released from their on-campus housing requirement for the year over the summer and in October. According to Harrison, 185 juniors were released from the requirement and are either now living off-campus or will next semester.  

In addition, 467 students who lived on-campus this fall will no longer do so in the spring, including 194 Duke Kunshan University students not enrolled at Duke and 128 students completing study away programs in the spring.

Meanwhile, 411 students will be returning to live on-campus and have applied for spring housing, including those at study away programs, the Marine Lab, leaves of absence and the Robertson Scholars program, according to Harrison. 

All DKU juniors and seniors living on campus for the spring will be assigned to Epworth and West House on East Campus. This fall, most DKU students were assigned to Epworth and East House, while some were assigned to 300 Swift and various West Campus quads. 

Audrey Wang contributed reporting.

Anisha Reddy | Senior Editor

Anisha Reddy is a Trinity junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “After fall housing shortage, Duke says it will have enough on-campus housing for spring ” on social media.