Live coverage of 2022 election results

<p>A resident votes at the polling site for Precinct 17 at the Durham Public Library in the 2022 midterm elections.</p>

A resident votes at the polling site for Precinct 17 at the Durham Public Library in the 2022 midterm elections.

As election news pours in, stay tuned to The Chronicle's live blog for up-to-date news on the key local, N.C. and national races. 

Durham bond referendums pass majority required to be approved

11/9/22 12:05 a.m. 

With all precincts reporting, all three bond referendums on the ballot in Durham have surpassed the majority required to be approved. 

Totaling $550.2 million, these bonds will improve facilities and infrastructure for Durham’s schools and the Museum of Life and Science to support Durham’s growing population. The first bond allocates $423.5 million to Durham Public Schools, the second allocates $112.74 million to Durham Tech and the third allocates $13.995 million to the Museum of Life and Science. 

Associated Press calls the U.S. Senate race for Republican Rep. Ted Budd

11/8/22 11:56 p.m. 

The Associated Press called the race for North Carolina’s U.S. Senate seat for Republican Rep. Ted Budd. Budd is a three-term congressman who will succeed Sen. Richard Burr. Read more here

Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper declared “we stopped a GOP supermajority tonight” 

11/8/22 11:33 p.m.

Read more on the supermajority here

U.S. Senate update: NBC News calls North Carolina race for Budd

11/8/22 11:24 p.m.

NBC News called the race for North Carolina’s U.S. Senate seat for Republican Rep. Ted Budd. Budd leads Beasley 50.9% to 46.9%, a margin of over 140,000 votes. 

U.S. Senate update: Budd leads Beasley by 4.1%, 91% of the vote in

11/8/22 10:38 p.m.

With 91% of the vote now in, Republican Rep. Ted Budd now leads Democrat Cheri Beasley 51.0% to 46.9%. 

U.S. Senate update: Budd overtakes Beasley, race still too close to call

11/8/22 9:12 p.m.

With 67% of the vote now in, Republican Rep. Ted Budd now leads Democrat Cheri Beasley 49.5% to 48.6%.

U.S. Senate update: Race currently too close to call

11/8/22 9:00 p.m.

The race between Democrat Cheri Beasley and Republican Rep. Ted Budd is currently too close to call. Beasley currently leads Budd 49.7% to 48.4% with 63% of the vote in. Votes are currently in are primarily from Wake County where Raleigh is located and Mecklenburg County where Charlotte is located. Wake, Durham and Mecklenburg counties are Democratic strongholds voting strongly in favor of Beasley.

Duke Democrats gather for watch party

11/8/22 8:50 pm

After a busy season of campaigning for North Carolina Democratic candidates, members of Duke Democrats eagerly gathered in Keohane Atrium to watch election results. Co-president James Gao, a junior, pulled up the CNN broadcast and members sat throughout the room doing homework on their laptops, talking and watching the day’s results unfold.

Sophomore Katelyn Sheets voted early on Oct. 22, canvassed in her home district in her hometown Holly Springs, NC, and phone banked the night before the election. 

“I texted everyone I know to make sure that they were registered and had all the resources that they needed,” she told The Chronicle.

This election marked her third time voting. 

“I think a lot of people feel like, oh, it's just one vote, it doesn't matter. But when enough people think that then that's where you see the government not matching up with the belief. So it's definitely important," Sheets said.

Sheets is especially concerned about Republicans gaining a supermajority in North Carolina, allowing them to override Democratic Gov. Cooper’s veto and restrict abortion access. 

Members passed the time waiting for more results looking at detailed breakdowns of the electoral map and getting snacks at the table behind the couches. After months of planning and campaigning, there was nothing to do but wait. 

U.S. House Update: Valerie Foushee wins election for 4th Congressional District

11/8/22 8:22 p.m.

The Associated Press has called the race for North Carolina's 4th Congressional District, which includes Durham, for Democrat Valerie Foushee. Foushee, currently a state senator in North Carolina for District 23, currently leads Republican opponent Courtney Geels in the polls by 43.6% with 64% votes in, 71.8% to 28.2%.

Read more here.

221108 POLIS Watch Party AnnaleiseLiekenhoker-11.jpg
Students watch results roll in at a POLIS watch party. 

Duke students watch as results roll in

11/8/22 6:30 p.m.

As midterm polls begin to wrap up, students watched in anticipation of results rolling in at a POLIS: Center for Politics watch party. 

Deondra Rose, POLIS director and associate professor of public policy at the Sanford School of Public Policy, reflected on the stakes of the midterms. Rose mentioned how driven young people are to vote for the future of voting rights and reproductive rights, especially in this midterm election. She also encouraged individuals to remain engaged with democracy beyond elections by continuing to stay informed and discuss with others of differing views. 

Students remained fired up as the night progressed, watching as races began to be called. Many expressed concern with the state of reproductive rights, voting rights and environmental justice. 

“A lot of young people are really tired with the older generations [having] a lot of power and making the decisions for us … I think we’ve seen so many issues that are up for debate firsthand without having a say,” said first-year Sophie Yost. 

Many also are curious to see the role the midterms will play in the integrity of the nation’s democracy moving forward, especially considering that this is the first election since the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.  

“The one major thing that I want to see coming out of the midterms is that both sides are willing to come out of it and recognize the legitimacy of the election,” said first-year Jaden Rodriguez. 

Additionally, students are very hopeful for the turnout of young people. 

“I won’t get my hopes up tonight. What I’m hoping to see is more voter turnout … I would love to know that the things we are doing to promote voter turnout among young people are working,” said junior Ashley Bae. 

With on-campus voter mobilization events, such as Democracy Day, along with a large social media push, students have organized and mobilized across Duke to make their voices heard this election. 

-Akshay Gokul

Check out The Chronicle's coverage from the 2022 election cycle and our election preview with a breakdown of all the races to watch tonight.

Share and discuss “Live coverage of 2022 election results” on social media.