Duke falls to 10 in U.S. News and World Report national ranking, ties with Northwestern

Duke ranked No. 10 in the 2022-2023 edition of U.S. News and World Report’s Best National University rankings. It fell one place from last year’s ranking of No. 9. 

This year, Duke is tied with Northwestern University. Princeton University was ranked first for the 12th consecutive year. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology was ranked second, followed by Harvard University, Stanford University and Yale University tied at third.

The University of Chicago claimed sixth place. It is followed by the University of Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins University, tied at seventh place. This was Johns Hopkins’ highest rank since 2015. The California Institute of Technology, which was one of the schools tied with Duke last year, kept its 9th place ranking. 

Behind Duke is Dartmouth College at No. 12. Brown University and Vanderbilt University are tied at No. 13. Absent from this year’s top 10 is Columbia University, which dropped from No. 2 to No. 18; Columbia math professor Michael Thaddeus noticed discrepancies in the data it provided to U.S. News and Columbia later admitted to giving incorrect data.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is ranked 29th this year. 

In U.S. News and World Report’s 2021 rankings, Duke took 12th place. From 2015-17, the University was ranked No. 8. Duke then dropped to 9th place in 2018. It then regained its 8th place spot in the 2019 rankings, and then dropped to 10th place in the 2020 edition.

Some of the major factors used to compute the rankings include graduation and retention rates, social mobility, graduation rate performance, undergraduate academic reputation as determined by peer assessment, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources per student, alumni giving and graduate indebtedness. 

The U.S. News and World Report list includes universities offering a range of undergraduate majors, master’s and doctoral programs, and emphasize faculty research or award professional practice doctorates. In total, 440 national universities were ranked this year, an increase from last year’s 391 ranked schools. 

This ranking comes after Duke ranked ninth in Forbes’ American Top Colleges list this year, returning to the top 10.

Adway S. Wadekar profile
Adway S. Wadekar | News Editor

Adway S. Wadekar is a Trinity junior and former news editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke falls to 10 in U.S. News and World Report national ranking, ties with Northwestern” on social media.