Duke falls to 12 in national ranking, jumps in undergraduate teaching

Duke has fallen to 12th place in the most recent U.S. News and World Report National Universities rankings, after tying with Johns Hopkins for 10th place last year and sitting at No. 8 the year before.

Duke had held the No. 8 spot since 2015, save for a quick dip to ninth place in 2018.

Princeton marks its 10th consecutive year in the first spot, followed by Harvard, which has been No. 2 for eight years straight. Columbia is third, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Yale are tied for fourth.

Stanford, the University of Chicago, the University of Pennsylvania, the California Institute of Technology, Johns Hopkins and Northwestern fill the remaining spots ahead of Duke.

Duke’s big win in the 2021 U.S. News rankings was a jump from 17th place to ninth in Best Undergraduate Teaching, tied with Stanford. However, the University fell from eighth place to 13th in the Best Value category.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill rose from 29th place last year to 28th, for which it ties with Wake Forest.

Maria Morrison profile
Maria Morrison

Maria Morrison is a Trinity senior and a digital strategy director for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously managing editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Duke falls to 12 in national ranking, jumps in undergraduate teaching” on social media.