Extra point: Duke football dominates Temple in season opener

<p>Duke totaled 500 yards of offense in its victory over Temple.&nbsp;</p>

Duke totaled 500 yards of offense in its victory over Temple. 

The Blue Devils started their season with a 30-0 shutout win against Temple, and the Blue Zone is here to break down their performance with three key takeaways and stats, plus a look ahead: 

Three key takeaways:

1. Defense shines

Last year, 130 teams competed in the FBS; Duke ranked 130th in total defense. After allowing 39.8 points and 516.8 yards per game in 2021, head coach Mike Elko and co-defensive coordinators Jess Simpson and Robb Smith were brought on to fix the broken Blue Devil defense. The new staff got off to a great start: Duke held their opponent scoreless for the first time since 1989. The defense swallowed Temple’s offense early, forcing three-and-outs on the first three drives of the game and preventing the Owls from moving the chains in the first quarter. The Blue Devils’ defensive dominance continued throughout the contest, resulting in only 179 yards and zero points for Temple’s offense. This display is uplifting for Duke fans who have seen their defense crumble over the past few years, and serves as a colossal opening statement for Elko’s defense.

2. Leonard is that guy

Hurled into the limelight, sophomore quarterback Riley Leonard gleamed. The Fairhope, Ala., native set the pace by spearheading a rapid two-minute, 75-yard opening drive and teeing up redshirt junior Jaylen Coleman for the one-yard rushing score. Leonard maintained his high level of play throughout the game, boasting an efficient 80% completion percentage and throwing for a remarkable 328 yards and two touchdowns. The sophomore also dominated Duke’s ground game, leading the team with 64 yards on 11 carries. After his demonstration of talent, poise and leadership against Temple, it’s fair to believe Leonard could be the man to take Duke’s offense to the next level. 

3. Rejuvenation

Sept. 2 was a great day for Duke, but not just because of the success on the field. Wallace Wade Stadium rocked as over 20,000 Duke fans, many of whom were students, flocked to last night’s game. Duke’s biggest, and perhaps toughest, task: have the crowd leave Wallace Wade as optimistic as when they arrived. Against Temple, it accomplished that task. Throughout the game, the student section rang with enthusiasm and confidence. With the backing of the Duke fanbase, the next step is to maintain that success next week in Evanston.

Three key stats:

1. Halftime yardage deficit

Going into the break, Duke was up 24 points and outpaced Temple on the stat sheet, holding the Owls to just 50 first-half yards while posting 337 itself. The quick start set the Blue Devils up for success and laid the foundation for smooth sailing in the second half. A yardage surplus of nearly 300 yards is a recipe for victory. 

2. Leonard’s streak

Despite yesterday’s affair being only his second career start, Leonard came out firing, connecting on his first 15 passing attempts of the contest. The quarterback nearly made program history as he was just one completion short of tying D. Bryant and Sean Renfree’s record for consecutive completions. Leonard's play pushed Duke to an early lead. Consistency from the quarterback position will certainly catalyze improvement for this year’s squad. 

3. Defensive statement

Zero points allowed. Whether it was simply a poor offensive display by Temple or a stellar defensive one by Duke, the scoreboard is indisputable. Don’t allow your opponents to score 40 points and winning becomes a whole lot easier. 

Looking forward: 

After a winless ACC slate last season, Duke's victory against Temple restored hope in the program. Still, the question remains: Have the Blue Devils actually improved, or did they simply ride yesterday’s hype and energy to victory? Only time will tell, but if this game is anything to go by, expect production and consistency from the Leonard-led offense and grit and organization from Elko’s revived defense. 

Share and discuss “Extra point: Duke football dominates Temple in season opener” on social media.