Tornado and flash flood warnings for campus ends

A tornado and flash flood warning issued for Duke’s campus has expired.

A DukeAlert gave the all-clear at 4:34 p.m.

“A tornado has been sighted or radar indicates a thunderstorm circulation that can spawn a tornado in the area near Duke’s main campus in Durham,” a DukeAlert issued at around 4:08 p.m. stated. The DukeAlert advised people on campus to seek shelter and avoid windows and doors. 

The National Weather Service enacted a tornado warning for Durham County until Monday, May 23 at 4:45 p.m. A severe thunderstorm warning was in effect until 5:00 p.m. 

In addition, a flash flood warning issued by the National Weather Service is in effect for Durham County until 6:30 p.m. 

"At 4:23 p.m. EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Between 1 and 2 inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches are possible in the warned area. Flash flooding is ongoing or expected to begin shortly," the flash flood warning stated. 

The National Weather Service tornado warning stated that “a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado” was seen near Durham at 4:06 p.m., moving east at 40 mph. 

Update: This story was updated at 4:38 p.m. to reflect the end of the tornado warning. This story was updated again at 5:45 p.m. to reflect the end of the tornado and flash flood warnings 

Kathryn Thomas profile
Kathryn Thomas | News Editor

Kathryn Thomas is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Tornado and flash flood warnings for campus ends” on social media.