University announces death of sophomore Bryan Lopez

Editor's Note: This story contains information about a student death. Reader discretion is advised.

*

The University announced Monday the death of sophomore Bryan Lopez.

"We are thinking today of Bryan’s family, as well as the Wannamaker and West Hall community members, classmates, advisors, faculty, and friends who knew Bryan personally," administrators wrote in an email to undergraduate students. "Bryan’s mother expressed heartfelt appreciation for the Duke community and its care for him during his time here. She stated that Bryan 'was loved deeply and will be missed' by all who knew him."

Lopez died unexpectedly on Friday. He was a student in the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, as well as a member of the Duke University Marching Band and Pep Band. Lopez enjoyed officiating rec soccer games, and while he had not yet declared a major, his academic interests included math, physics and Spanish.

An on-campus gathering to remember Lopez's life will be planned later this month, according to the email.

"Grief in response to a loss is a common reaction, and grief can present very differently among individuals and at different times," administrators wrote. "Please seek out your supports—including friends and trusted mentors—if that would be helpful to you right now, and know that the resources below are available to Duke students at any time."

The administrators who signed the email were Dean of Students John Blackshear; Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost and vice president of student affairs; Gary Bennett, vice provost of undergraduate education; and Martin Smith, Trinity's dean of academic affairs.

Share and discuss “University announces death of sophomore Bryan Lopez” on social media.