Midnight breakfast to meditation: The Chronicle’s guide to reading period relaxation

<p>On Monday, Dec. 6, bring a mat to the Wellness Center for yoga.</p>

On Monday, Dec. 6, bring a mat to the Wellness Center for yoga.

The end of the semester is almost here, and with exam season rapidly approaching, many students may find themselves yearning for fun activities to decompress and recharge before the finals grind commences. Here is The Chronicle’s guide of all things relaxation during the upcoming reading period.

Frost Fest

Take a break from studying Thursday night at Frost Fest, which will be hosted by the Duke University Union Special Events committee at Bryan Center Plaza from 6 to 8 p.m. Students can indulge in free food, including Ghirardelli chocolate, popcorn and many other options; just be sure to register on DukeGroups before heading over.

Small Town Records LDOC Show

Want to celebrate the last day of fall semester classes in style? Head over to the Devil’s Krafthouse Pavilion this Friday, where Small Town Records, Duke’s student-run record label, is hosting a free, open show from 6 to 9 p.m. Being that Friday is the last day of classes before students head into finals, the event will pay tribute to the best memories of this semester. Along with the great music and company, Small Town Records will be giving away merch and hosting other fun activities during the show.

Midnight Breakfast

Drum roll, please—Duke students’ favorite finals event is back and better than ever, and this time, it’s a Winter Wonderland theme. Midnight Breakfast, the University’s annual pre-finals feast, will be hosted Saturday, Dec. 4 from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. at both the Brodhead Center and East Campus Marketplace. Though the event at the Brodhead Center is sponsored by the Sophomore Class Council, all students are invited to attend. The Marketplace meal will be hosted by the East Campus Council.

Attending the event is free of charge, but students must ensure that they register on DukeGroups by Tuesday, Nov. 30 at 11:55 p.m. First-years will get a Marketplace swipe specifically for Midnight Breakfast.

Events in the Wellness Center

Looking to decompress and achieve inner peace at the same time? The Student Wellness Center is hosting its typical series of activities next week during the two-day reading period. 

On Monday, Dec. 6, bring a mat for yoga and Buddhist meditation, which will be held in Room 144. Running from 12-12:50 p.m., the yoga event will focus on poses and actions meant to help students manage their stress and anxiety. Come back to the same room at 7 p.m. for Buddhist meditation, which will include people of all faiths and backgrounds learning how to follow mindfulness and meditation. 

On Tuesday, Dec. 7, a multitude of stress-relieving events are planned, including global conversations, a tea gathering and meditative art. Join peers and faculty in Room 123 from 1-2 p.m. for international discussions on everything from culture to local and world news. At 5:30 p.m. in Room 144, come for a tea gathering hosted in partnership with Duke CommuniTEA and try some wellness-based concoctions. Meditative Art, an opportunity to create stress-free artwork, will also be hosted in the same room at 7 p.m. 

Group fitness classes at Wilson Recreation Center

If you haven’t already checked out the group fitness classes at Wilson Recreation Center, now is the time to do so. From cycling to kickboxing, Duke Recreation hosts in-person fitness classes every day of the week at Wilson—the perfect opportunity to socialize and stay active while taking a break from studying. To register, log in to your MyRec portal, navigate to ‘Fitness & Wellness’ and pick a class that aligns with your schedule on the ‘Fitness, In Person’ tab. On Dec. 5 and 6, the Indoor Climbing Wall will be the only open part of Wilson, and the rec center will be fully closed from Dec. 10 through Jan. 4.

Share and discuss “Midnight breakfast to meditation: The Chronicle’s guide to reading period relaxation” on social media.