Prop bets for Duke football vs. Virginia

<p>Both Duke and Virginia (not pictured) possess energetic offenses, making for an interesting matchup.</p>

Both Duke and Virginia (not pictured) possess energetic offenses, making for an interesting matchup.

Every week the Blue Zone gives you our can't-lose prop bets for the upcoming football game:

Ladies and gentlemen, Locktober is in full swing. The Blue Devils look for a statement ACC win against the Cavaliers in Charlottesville, Va., this weekend, and, while I’m not here to give investment advice, there are a few plays that eager bettors can keep their eye on in this conference matchup. There is value to be had across the board come 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, so let’s get right to it.

Over/Under 69.5 points

This may seem like an astronomical line to some, but we are talking about a Duke team that, even in its losses, usually manages to score at least three touchdowns. The Cavaliers themselves are no offensive slouches either, putting up 39 in a loss to North Carolina in mid-September while still managing to lose by 20. Expect running back Mataeo Durant to drive a couple into the end zone and this one to be a shootout right to the end.

Besides, no one likes the under.

Pick: Over 69.5 points

First turnover of the game will be:

It’s no secret that with two high powered offenses you’re going to see the pigskin moving in the wrong direction a few times a game, and Duke has historically emphasized attacking the football as well as the man. Thus, the +900 “no turnovers” line is bait. Ultimately, we’re looking at a Duke defense that had a couple of picks last week, and I like them continuing the trend. Follow that on with Durant’s sure hands, and there’s a lot of value in a ball through the air being the first turnover in this one.

Pick: Interception -170

Longest touchdown over/under 54.5 yards

You know where I’m going with this one, and there’s not much reason to disagree. The long touchdown has become a hallmark of Duke’s game, whether it's Durant ripping through a huge hole and finding tons of green grass, or heartbreaking, game-winning touchdowns cutting through the air with Duke on the defensive side of the ball. This team is prone to the big play; it’s a lock. 

PICK: Over 54.5 yards

Share and discuss “Prop bets for Duke football vs. Virginia” on social media.