DSG hears financial updates, confirms committee nominees in first meeting of academic year

Members of the Duke Student Government at a Senate meeting last fall, long before the coronavirus upended the end of their time in office.

Duke Student Government Senate kicked off their first meeting of the semester with a fire alarm, financial updates and confirmations of committee nominees. 

Senators listened to a welcome message from senior Christina Wang, president of DSG. DSG Treasurer Ahana Sen, a senior, then presented an update on DSG’s finances.

According to the presentation, the DSG Quasi-Endowment, which is DSG’s addition to Duke University’s endowment, is currently worth around $53,000. That amount was $50,000 three years ago. 

The quasi-endowment was created to ensure “a long-term fund for potential future needs” and allow “holdings to keep up with inflation,” according to the presentation. 

Sen also announced her plans for the role of treasurer this year, which involve streamlining the process for requesting funds, improving record-keeping for accountability and intergenerational knowledge and focusing on fiscal responsibility and long-term planning. 

Senators also confirmed nominees for the Senate Selection Committee and some Provost’s and President’s Committees, including the Academic Programs Committee, Bass Connections Advisory Council, Council for the Arts, Global Priorities Committee, University Schedule Committee, Athletic Council, Committee on Facilities & Environment, the President’s Advisory Committee on Institutional History and the President’s Council on Black Affairs. Nominations for the President’s Art Advisory Committee were tabled. 

Executive Vice President Ramya Ginjupalli, a senior, discussed DSG elections for the year. This year’s election will be held from Sept. 9 to 10. First-years may run for an elected position on any committee and at-large positions are open to all Duke undergraduate students. 

In other business

The Senate confirmed six members to the Student Organization Finance Committee: analysts Charles Veronee, Dylan Dotan and Sara Oike, University Publications Board Campus Partner Annika Agrawal, Hadeel Hamoud, vice chair of policy and outreach, and Bea De Oliveira, vice chair of management and communications. Veronee, Dotan, Oike and De Oliveira are sophomores; Agrawal is a junior; Hamoud is a senior. 

Senators approved a name change for the student group formerly known as Define American to Define America, which advocates for justice for immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers in the U.S. The Senate also approved a status change for student group Christians on Campus. 

Milla Surjadi profile
Milla Surjadi | Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator

Milla Surjadi is a Trinity junior and a diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator of The Chronicle's 119th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “DSG hears financial updates, confirms committee nominees in first meeting of academic year” on social media.