From basketball to Apple to law school: Meet the seven new members of the Board of Trustees

Varied in experience, age and University ties, seven new members have been named to Duke’s Board of Trustees.

The youngest members of the board, Doha Ali, Trinity ‘21, and Gerardo Párraga, Trinity ‘18, Law ‘21, were chosen in April as Duke’s next undergraduate and graduate Young Trustees, respectively. 

Ali will serve a three-year term and Párraga will serve a two-year term. Both Ali and Párraga will serve as observers their first year on the board, then as trustees with voting privileges for the remainder of their term. 

Ali majored in economics and sociology and volunteered with Student U and the Durham Community Land Trustees during her time at Duke. She also served as a member of the Center for Race Relations, a disciplinary advisor for the Office of Student Conduct and a resident assistant on West Campus, according to her Young Trustee biography

Párraga majored in political science and economics. At Duke, he has served as a member of the Latin American Law Student Association, Low-Income/First-Generation Engagement Committee, Duke Student Alumni Board and Next Generation Living and Learning Committee, according to his Young Trustee biography. He has also represented victims of domestic violence and eviction diversion in Durham via the Civil Justice Clinic.

Vikas Patel, Trinity '96, Medicine '00, House Staff '04, is president-elect of the Duke Alumni Association. Patel will serve a six-year term; his first two years on the board will be as an observer and will be a trustee with voting privileges for the remainder of his term. 

Patel, a principal physician at North Carolina Dermatology Associates (NCDA), is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology and has memberships in the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery and the North Carolina Medical Society, according to NCDA’s website. He also serves on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Board of Trustees for the Triangle Chapter.

Patel joined the Duke Alumni Association Board of Directors in 2016 and served as a member of the Executive Committee and co-chaired the Awards & Recognition Committee and the Committee for Diversity and Inclusion.

Nancy-Ann DeParle is a director of CVS Health and HCA Healthcare and a co-founder and managing partner of Consonance Capital Partners, a “private equity manager focused exclusively on investing in the healthcare industry,” according to the firm’s website. DeParle was deputy chief of staff for policy in the Obama administration and architect of the Affordable Care Act. 

DeParle earned an undergraduate degree at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville after which she attended Oxford University—on the Rhodes Scholarship—and Harvard Law School. 

Prior to the 2020 presidential election, DeParle spoke to students at Duke about her background in politics and healthcare in the United States. 

Eddy Cue, Trinity '86, is senior vice president of internet software and services at Apple. 

Cue oversees Apple’s content stores, “including the iTunes Store and Apple Music, as well as Apple Pay, Maps, Search Ads, Apple’s innovative iCloud services, and Apple’s productivity and creativity apps,” according to Apple’s website

In 2014, Cue was recognized by City of Hope, a cancer research center, with the Spirit of Life Award, an award that “recognizes an individual whose work has fundamentally impacted the music, film and entertainment industries,” according to the City of Hope website

Grant Hill, Trinity ‘94, a decorated collegiate and professional basketball player, is a public speaker, art collector, investor and entrepreneur. 

Hill is the founder of Hill Ventures, a marketing and management company for “Hill’s marketing and promotional activities, community investment and foundation initiatives, web site content and design, real estate portfolio, personal art collection tour, and other off-the-court activities and initiatives,” according to the company’s About page.

During his time at Duke, Hill won the NCAA men’s basketball championship in 1991 and 1992 and was inducted into the Duke Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2016. Hill was a seven-time NBA All-Star and in 2018, he was inducted in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. Hill will become the managing director of the USA Basketball Men’s National Team after the Tokyo Olympics, announced earlier this year.

Hill’s mother, Janet Hill, served on the Duke Board of Trustees from 2006-2021.

Michael Bingle, Pratt ‘94, is the vice chairman of Silver Lake Group, a global technology investment firm, according to the firm’s website

Bingle has been a member of Duke’s Young Alumni Council and the Annual Fund Advisory Board. He received the Charles A. Dukes Award in 2004 for Outstanding Volunteer Service. Bingle is currently the vice chairman of the Pratt School of Engineering’s Board of Visitors.

Preetha Ramachandran profile
Preetha Ramachandran | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Coordinator

Preetha Ramachandran is a Trinity senior and diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator for The Chronicle's 118th volume. She was previously senior editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “From basketball to Apple to law school: Meet the seven new members of the Board of Trustees” on social media.