Sportswrap: Duke women's golf enters match play, men's lacrosse punches ticket to Final Four

Jaravee Boonchant is one of two members of this year's squad who were also national champions in 2019 (other is Gina Kim).

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of May 18-24.

Women’s golf

Duke earned itself the No. 2-seed after four days of stroke play at the NCAA Championship in Scottsdale, Ariz. Gina Kim and Phoebe Brinker paced the Blue Devils in that span, with both finishing tied for fifth individually. Kim, Brinker and company will start match play Tuesday against No. 7-seed Arizona State in search of securing the repeat title -Jake Piazza

Men’s lacrosse 

Thanks to yet another Joe Robertson overtime game-winner, No. 2-seed Duke took down Loyola 10-9 in the NCAA quarterfinals Sunday to move on to Championship Weekend. Brennan O’Neill led the way with five points, while Michael Sowers and Robertson followed suit with four points apiece. The Blue Devils will take on No. 3-seed Maryland this Saturday at 2:30 p.m. in the NCAA semifinals. -Evan Kolin

Baseball 

After crushing Davidson and sweeping Clemson to close out the regular season, the Blue Devils (28-20, 16-17 in the ACC) are now riding an eight-game win streak into the ACC tournament. Duke is still a bubble team for the NCAA tournament, but wins against No. 5-seed Florida State and No. 4-seed Miami on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, should be enough for the ninth-seeded Blue Devils to sneak into the big dance. -Piazza

Women’s tennis 

The Blue Devils fell to No. 1-seed North Carolina in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament last Wednesday. On Sunday, NCAA singles play commenced and Duke’s Chloe Beck fell in the first round, but Georgia Drummy and Kelly Chen both advanced to the Sweet 16. In addition, the NCAA Doubles Championship started Monday, with Beck and partner Karolina Berankova scraping out a win and the duo of Meible Chi and Margaryta Bilokin losing in the first round.  Chen, Drummy and the doubles team of Beck and Berankova will all be in action again Tuesday. -Campbell Lawson

Softball

The 13th-ranked Blue Devils opened their first NCAA tournament appearance with a win against UNC Greensboro, before dropping a 1-0 match to host Georgia. A 12-inning complete-game shutout from Shelby Walters earned the Blue Devils a chance in the regional finals, where they fought an instant classic down to the wire before ultimately losing 10-9 to the Bulldogs again to close out their season. -Em Adler

Women’s lacrosse 

No. 7-seed Duke came into its Elite Eight matchup against No. 2-seed and undefeated Northwestern with confidence and shot out to a quick 6-1 lead. But despite the early lead and a career-high five goals from sophomore Olivia Carner, the Blue Devils couldn’t contain the high-powered Wildcat offense, losing 22-10 to cap off the season. -Jonathan Browning

Men’s golf 

Duke men’s golf finished 12th out of 13 teams in the NCAA Noblesville Regional. The disappointing showing ended the season for the Blue Devils, who needed at least a fifth place finish to advance to the National Championship. -Robert Miron

Sports that did not compete this week

Track and field did not compete this past week, but NCAA qualifiers were announced, and Duke had 33 Blue Devils on the list. The East Regional begins Wednesday.

Rowing had the week off after taking second at the ACC Championship, but will be back in action starting Friday at the NCAA Championship.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke women's golf enters match play, men's lacrosse punches ticket to Final Four” on social media.