Meet Duke's Class of 2024: The Chronicle's first-year survey results

Editor's note: This story is part of a series about the Class of 2024 based on a survey conducted by The Chronicle. You can read more about our methodology and limitations here, or see all of our survey coverage here.

Interactives by Selena Qian.

Demographics

We asked respondents in the Class of 2024 about their race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation; where they currently live; whether they are first-generation college students; and their family income. 

Path to Duke

The survey asked the Class of 2024 if they applied Early Decision, whether Duke was their first choice, whether they have legacy status, the type of high school they came from and why they chose Duke.

Plans at Duke

Students also vary in how they plan to spend their time at Duke. We asked first-years to tell us  what they plan to major in, whether they plan to rush Greek life or non-Greek selective living groups and their primary reasons for wanting to rush.

Beliefs, lifestyle and choices

We asked this year’s first-years to tell us about their beliefs, lifestyle and choices—from religion to drug use to whether they have sought mental health treatment before.

Voting

With the presidential election of 2020 in the rearview mirror, we asked the newest Blue Devils to share their political beliefs, whether they voted, whom they voted for and where they voted.

COVID-19 and Campus Life

The coronavirus pandemic has changed campus life, students’ personal lives and the lives of those close to them. As the first class to attend Duke amid a pandemic, we asked the Class of 2024 about their living situations, whether they are able to find community, how COVID-19 has affected their lives and their ability to find community, and their adherence to and opinions on the Duke Compact.

Share and discuss “Meet Duke's Class of 2024: The Chronicle's first-year survey results” on social media.