Duke women's basketball 2020-21 player preview: Miela Goodchild

Miela Goodchild is looking to break out in her third year as a Blue Devil.

College basketball season is approaching, and with that the  Blue Zone gives you a breakdown of the 2020-2021 women's basketball  squad.  Be sure to check out the previous previews: Vanessa de Jesus, Uchenna Nwoke, Jiselle Havas, Sara Anastasieska, Jada Claude, Jaida Patrick, Onome Akinbode-James and Jennifer Ezeh.

Miela Goodchild

Year: Junior

Height: 5-foot-10

Position: Guard

Last year's statline: 7.3 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 20.9 MPG

Game breakdown: The past two years, Miela Goodchild has proven her worth on her team. From coming in as a freshman with 73 3-pointers, breaking Duke’s freshman record, Goodchild quickly earned an important role as a shooter on her team. The 5-foot-10 Australia native finds herself working tirelessly off-season on the Australian National team, repping her country in tournaments anytime she isn’t wearing her Duke-blue jersey. 

Goodchild became the quickest Blue Devil to sink 100 three-pointers, reaching the goal in just 45 contests. Goodchild’s best game definitely comes from her perimeter shooting. As long as the ball gets to Goodchild while she’s in her zone, she can be a knock-down three-point shooter, but the junior guard has more to offer. When opponents try to attack her beyond the arc, Goodchild is still able to create opportunities for her team with her dribbling abilities. 

Goodchild will need to work more on her versatility when it comes to shooting, especially now that there will be some roles to fill on the team. As long as Goodchild keeps it up with her stellar shooting from beyond the arc, and improves on her shooting from other points on the court, she can be a dangerous shooter for Duke.

Role on the team: With former teammate Haley Gorecki graduating, all eyes will be on Goodchild to fill into Gorecki’s offensive role. The sharp shooter will be the primary member on the team to rely on for good shooting. Last season, the Queensland, Australia native scored a season-high 26 points against Troy and hit 43 three-pointers over the season-stretch, ranking second on the team. This year, Goodchild will likely end the year with the most three-pointers on her squad and will be a crucial player to bring in points.

Projected stats: 8.5 PPG, 2.7 RPG,  25.2 MPG 

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2020-21 player preview: Miela Goodchild” on social media.