Cooking, a book talk, virtual Heatwave: 7 online events in the first 2 weeks of class

Looking for a virtual event to liven up the first two weeks of class, when many in-person activities aren’t possible? 

Here are seven events coming up soon, including cooking workshops, a talk with author Chanel Miller and this year's Heatwave concert. 

Chef Demos with Kelly Brown

Duke Dining is sponsoring two workshops with Kelly Brown, Trinity ‘06. The first workshop will focus on how to “stock your kitchen with versatile ingredients so you can make a quick and delicious meal any time of the week,” while the second will center around improv cooking. Brown is a health coach and founder of Real Food House, an organization that offers food and nutrition counseling.

When: Wednesday, Aug. 19 and Wednesday Aug. 26 at 3 p.m.

RSVP: Required 

Duke Common Experience: A Talk with Chanel Miller

Writer Chanel Miller will address the Duke community in an online event hosted by New Student Programs and the Delta Gamma Lectureship. Miller’s book, “Know My Name,” is a memoir written in the aftermath of a high-profile sexual assault case at Stanford University. The book is this year's Common Experience summer reading pick.

The event is primarily for first-year students, but interested community members with a duke.edu email can RSVP.

When: Thursday, Aug. 20 from 7 to 9 p.m

RSVP: Required for non-first-year students 

Duke Dance Council Fall Showcase

Want to get your groove on? The Dance Council, which consists of 17 on-campus dance groups, will livestream its annual showcase on YouTube. Each organization will also host a question and answer session for prospective members near the end of the event.

When: Friday, Aug. 21 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.

RSVP: Not required 

Student Life Resource Fair

Alongside the activities fair, the Student Life Resource Fair is a valuable source of information for new students. You’ll be able to meet staff from different identity centers, such as the Center for Muslim Life and Center for Multicultural Affairs, as well as representatives of various academic programs.

When: Wednesday, Aug. 26 from 4 to 6 p.m.

RSVP: Not required 

Sketching with William Paul Thomas

Durham-based artist William Paul Thomas will lead a virtual mixed media workshop, focusing on combining found images and sketches. Thomas was the Brock Family Visiting Instructor at Duke during the 2017-18 academic year and a visiting artist at the Rubenstein Arts Center from January to March 2019.

When: Wednesday, Aug. 26 from 6 to 7 p.m.

RSVP: Not required 

Knitting Group with the Wellness Center

It may still be warm outside, but it’s never too soon to knit yourself a hat and gloves. The Wellness Center is hosting a virtual knitting workshop for all experience levels.

When: Thursday, Aug. 27 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

RSVP: Not required 

Heatwave

This annual fall concert sponsored by Duke University Union kicks off the academic year, and this year’s lineup includes rapper Denzel Curry.

When: Friday, Aug. 28 from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m.

RSVP: Required 

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Cooking, a book talk, virtual Heatwave: 7 online events in the first 2 weeks of class ” on social media.