Editor’s Note: Duke may be shutting down, but The Chronicle isn’t going anywhere

editor's note

This is an unprecedented time for us all. Two weeks ago, many Duke students and officials were confident that in-person classes weren’t going to be canceled and they would get to come back to campus after spring break. Well, things changed quickly.

I was one of the lucky ones. I was able to retrieve my belongings from my dorm, and I had no issue coming home. For many Duke students though, that was not the case, and the confusion about rapidly changing policies only exacerbated people’s challenges. 

That’s what The Chronicle is here for. We want to clear up any confusion, push administration to take equitable and just actions, and provide an outlet for anyone in the community—students, faculty, staff, parents, Durhamites—to express themselves. Although we won’t be producing any more print papers this semester because our staffers can’t be on campus, we will work hard from home to constantly update our website, Twitter, Facebook and newsletters.

We’re not going to just keep you up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news, though that will be our top priority. We want to shine a light on the issues that Duke isn’t properly addressing. We want to tell stories of life outside of Duke’s campus. We want to hear your voice—please send letters, columns, poems or words of inspiration to chronicleletters@duke.edu

We want to tell non-coronavirus stories too! It may seem like there’s nothing else to think about in the world, but the news doesn’t have to be all doom-and-gloom. We still plan on publishing Chron15, highlighting 15 of Duke’s leaders, icons and pioneers. On April 1, our website will be filled with satirical articles for The Chomicle. And despite not having any sporting events or campus programming, our Sports and Recess sections will get creative and produce quality content.

Of course, I recognize that as student journalists, we are just one part of a larger ecosystem trying to see Duke through this crisis. Other students are doing incredible work to provide housing, food, transportation, funds and information to fellow students. Professors are trying to make the most of uncharted territory to provide education as best they can. Duke officials have been working around the clock trying to figure out how to protect Duke from the virus while helping vulnerable students and maintaining community.

For all of The Chronicle’s coverage and live updates on one page, please check out our new live blog. All our coronavirus articles can also be found on the newly-added COVID-19 section of our website. And for information straight from Duke, visit the University's FAQ page and coronavirus.duke.edu. Finally, if you have any questions that you’d like answered, either directly or in an article, please ask them here. Stay strong and stay safe, Blue Devils.

Jake Satisky is a Trinity junior and The Chronicle’s editor-in-chief for Vol. 115. He hopes that everyone practices social distancing, stays healthy and continues to support one another through this tumultuous time.

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “Editor’s Note: Duke may be shutting down, but The Chronicle isn’t going anywhere” on social media.