Letter: How did we get to this point?

letter to the editor

Editor's Note: This story contains information about two student deaths that readers may find triggering. Reader discretion is advised.

*

I want to begin by sending my condolences to the family and friends of the two individuals we lost this week, Grey Spector and Raj Mehta. Moments like these demand we all come together to love and support one another. These last few weeks have been challenging as we cope with the sudden shock to our lives created by COVID-19. Now, we have to deal with the sudden loss of two of our brightest, kindest peers. Blue Devils, now is the time for us to join together and support one another. We cannot navigate this grieving process alone. 

I’m appreciative for all that Duke does to help those of us who live with mental illness, myself included. I’m thankful to all those who work at CAPS, doing their best to provide the much needed support and health advice that so many of us need. I’ve been through the process and I know there are people that genuinely care. However, it is clear more needs to be done.

It is not normal to lose two of our friends in the span of a few days.

So, to President Price and the rest of the Duke administration, I have a few questions. How did we get to this point? Why are so many students having to visit CAPS in the first place? Why are so many students afraid to ask for help? What are you doing now to help those of us who are confused and lost amidst all the chaos that is surrounding us? What can we do to ensure we don’t lose our friends in the future?

The class of 2024 just received its acceptance letters. Will they have to suffer the same pain we are all feeling right now? 

I have no answers. But that’s what leadership is for, and we have never needed it so much. 

Sam Lemons is a Trinity senior.

Share and discuss “Letter: How did we get to this point?” on social media.