University announces death of senior Greyson Spector

Senior Greyson Spector has unexpectedly died, wrote Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost and vice president for student affairs, in a Thursday email.

"I write with great sadness this morning to let you know that we have learned of the unexpected passing earlier today of Greyson Spector, a member of the Class of 2020 in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences," McMahon wrote in the email.

Spector, a native of Cary, N.C., was a philosophy major and economics minor, in addition to pursuing a certificate in philosophy, politics and economics. Duke Law School had accepted him into its Class of 2023, and two of his brothers are currently undergraduate students at the University.

"We know that Grey’s sudden passing will be felt deeply by the many students, faculty, and staff he met during his time at Duke," McMahon wrote in the email. "Students, wherever you are—for those of you remaining on campus, for those in the Durham community, and for those at home across the U.S. and the world—we encourage you to reach out to one another to find support and connection."

He was also a member of Delta Tau Delta and participated in the Duke in Chicago program in Summer 2019. Andrew Janiak, professor in the department of philosophy, described Spector as a "very engaged student who was humble, attentive, a very good listener, and a pleasure to be around," according to McMahon's email.   

Share and discuss “University announces death of senior Greyson Spector” on social media.