EarthGang to headline P-Checks concert

EarthGang in 2016.
EarthGang in 2016.

Editor's Note: This article was updated with Miller's comments.

Tents have been slow to populate Krzyzewskiville this year, but K-Ville will still be rocking at the end of February.

Rap duo EarthGang will be headlining the annual K-Ville concert Friday, Feb. 28 at 8 p.m., according to Duke University Union's Facebook page. TGBEAM and Maui from Small Town Records—Duke's student-run record label—will open the show.

"Where in years past, artists might have been booked for a popular song they might have we really wanted our lineup for this year's concerts to go beyond that," wrote sophomore Max Miller, DUU's chair of campus concerts, in a message. "Picking artists that create a memorable experience for as many students as possible is important for us and we think that EARTHGANG is going to do an incredible job doing so."

The event will be held inside Cameron Indoor Stadium this year, a first for the K-Ville concert. Miller explained that Card Lot—the typical spot for the concert—wasn't available.

"The unique opportunity to be in Cameron, for just this year, presented itself and we went for it!" he wrote.

The concert will take place during Personal Checks, when everyone tenting for the Duke-UNC men's basketball game must wait in K-Ville to pass three checks during one night. The first night of P-Checks is always revelrous, with food trucks, partying and of course, a concert.

Rappers Johnny Venus and Doctur Dot make up EarthGang, a duo from Atlanta. They're best known for songs like "Meditate" with J.I.D. and "Proud of U" with Young Thug, as well as their work on Dreamville Records' Revenge of the Dreamers III album.

TGBEAM is a rapper and singer from Olathe, Kan., according to his Small Town Records bio. Like EarthGang, Maui also hails from Atlanta, and cites J. Cole and Anderson .Paak as musical influences.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article said P-Checks took place over two nights, when it will in fact take place over one night—a new policy change. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “EarthGang to headline P-Checks concert” on social media.