The undergraduate Young Trustee finalists—Leah Abrams, Maryam Asenuga, Ibrahim Butt and Tim Skapek—were announced yesterday, which means election season has officially begun. As always, The Chronicle aims to cover the election fairly and objectively.
This year our Opinion Editor, Leah Abrams, is on the Young Trustee ballot. Thus, in order to remain neutral and avoid any impropriety, this Editor's Note outlines the procedures The Chronicle will abide by as we cover this Young Trustee race.
- As always, The Chronicle's news reporters will profile each of the Young Trustee candidates. We have the same reporting guidelines for each profile, so all four candidates will receive equal treatment. We will choose reporters that have no prior relationship with the candidates they're profiling.
- As usual, any other reporting done about the candidates or the election will be conducted and edited in a consistent manner so as to not show bias toward any one candidate.
- Unlike years past, our Community Editorial Board will not make an endorsement for this Young Trustee race, as they fall within the opinion department.
- Endorsements from campus organizations will run through Editor-in-Chief Jake Satisky and Managing Editors Nathan Luzum and Kathryn Silberstein. Typically, endorsements are sent to the Editor-in-Chief and Opinion Editor, but this year, the opinion section will remain entirely out of the process.
- We will publish endorsements from Monday, Feb. 3 to Monday, Feb. 10. We will not accept any endorsement submissions past Sunday, Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. We will publish the official endorsement policy Monday, Jan. 27, but you can read last year's policy here.
Elections will be held online from noon on Tuesday, Feb. 11 to noon Feb. 12. If you have any questions or thoughts on the election, email email@example.com.
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.
Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle.