Get to know the Young Trustee finalists

<p>Candid photos of the candidates. Clockwise from top left: Tim Skapek, Maryam Asenuga, Ibrahim Butt, Leah Abrams.</p>

Candid photos of the candidates. Clockwise from top left: Tim Skapek, Maryam Asenuga, Ibrahim Butt, Leah Abrams.

It's that time of year, folks. It's Young Trustee election season. Campus will soon be flooded with changed profile pictures, promotional videos and tri-fold display boards at Marketplace. But who's actually running?

Seniors Leah Abrams, Maryam Asenuga, Ibrahim Butt and Tim Skapek will be campaigning for the privilege of serving a term on the Duke Board of Trustees, where they can offer the perspective of a recent undergraduate. For more information on the Young Trustee position and what it entails—and why candidates can't run on a platform—read The Chronicle's handy guide

Here, you can find profiles about all four candidates. Also, thanks to a rule in the Young Trustee By-Law, The Chronicle was able to obtain the applications each candidate submitted to the Young Trustee Nominating Committee, which chose the four finalists. The application can be found at the bottom of each finalist's profile.

Make sure to check your email sometime between noon Feb. 11 and noon Feb. 12 to vote.

Leah Abrams

Abrams, also the opinion editor of The Chronicle, plans to use her nuanced understanding of the issues at Duke and Durham to be a voice for equity.

leah.jpg

Maryam Asenuga

Asenuga is committed to social justice and to building a more inclusive Duke

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 8.25.36 PM.jpg

Ibrahim Butt

Butt seeks to empower marginalized voices, a mission that he has sustained from his high school involvement in the United Kingdom to his years at Duke. 

ibby.jpg

Tim Skapek

Skapek hopes to bring the lessons he has learned as a walk-on football kicker to the Board of Trustees.

thumbnail_Tim4YT_Headshot.jpg

Share and discuss “Get to know the Young Trustee finalists” on social media.