Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball rises in top-5 shakeup

<p>Wendell Moore and the undefeated Blue Devils check in at No. 2 in the latest rankings.</p>

Wendell Moore and the undefeated Blue Devils check in at No. 2 in the latest rankings.

After an entertaining first week of college basketball, there was plenty of shakeup in the latest AP Top 25 ranking. The Blue Zone will be here every Monday at noon until March giving you the biggest takeaways from each poll:

Blue Devils rise to No. 2

After an opening night that saw two top-4 matchups, Duke rose to the second spot in the latest poll thanks to a win last Tuesday over Kansas, now ranked No. 5. The new top dog in college basketball is Kentucky, who takes control of the top ranking from Michigan State after a convincing win over the Spartans later that night. The Blue Devils have now appeared in the top five of 22 consecutive AP polls, the longest active streak.

ACC taking over

It's no surprise that the top college basketball conference is once again dominating the sport as the ACC checked in with four teams in the top-10. Duke, No. 4 Louisville, No. 6 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia solidified their roles as championship contenders, and Florida State is also on the brink of the poll after an impressive win over Florida.

The conference also placed four top-10 teams in the final poll of last season with the Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Tar Heels occupying the top trio of spots and the Seminoles placing at No. 10.

Washington and Colorado enter the poll

Despite the chaos at the top of the ranking, many of the teams in the bottom half of the Top 25 were able to hold steady during Week 1. With the departure of VCU and Purdue, the Huskies and Buffaloes were able to jump into college hoops relevancy at No. 20 and No. 25, respectively. The first week of the season has been historically dull for upsets over lower ranked teams, however, expect some mayhem as holiday tournaments start to get underway.

Complete Rankings

1. Kentucky (64 first-place votes) 

2. Duke

3. Michigan State

4. Louisville (1)

5. Kansas

6. North Carolina

7. Maryland

8. Gonzaga

9. Virginia

10. Villanova

11. Texas Tech

12. Seton Hall

13. Memphis

14. Oregon

15. Florida

16. Ohio State

17. Utah State

18. Saint Mary's

19. Arizona

20. Washington

21. Xavier

22. Auburn

23. LSU

24. Baylor

25. Colorado

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball rises in top-5 shakeup” on social media.