Zion Williamson out for Duke men's basketball vs. North Carolina

<p>It's been more than two weeks since Zion Williamson sprained his knee against North Carolina, but the freshman still leads Duke in rebounds and is the favorite to win National Player of the Year honors.</p>

It's been more than two weeks since Zion Williamson sprained his knee against North Carolina, but the freshman still leads Duke in rebounds and is the favorite to win National Player of the Year honors.

Zion Williamson's injury and shoe implosion a little more than two weeks ago sparked controversy and debate across the college basketball landscape.

The biggest question: Would the Blue Devils' star freshman play another game in college.

Although the answer is still almost certainly yes, his return won't happen this weekend.

Williamson will not play Saturday night when No. 4 Duke visits third-ranked North Carolina at the Dean E. Smith Center, per a team announcement Saturday morning. The Spartanburg, S.C., native left just 34 seconds into the Blue Devils' rivalry matchup with the Tar Heels after suffering what was later termed a Grade 1 right knee sprain, and Williamson sat out Duke's last four games.

After Tuesday's win against Wake Forest, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said that he would be surprised if Williamson played against North Carolina, but also added that he expected his team's young superstar to be back for next week's ACC tournament in Charlotte. 

Friday, Coach K didn't have much of a new update—he said it was "doubtful" that Williamson would return Saturday, but did not want to make a final decision until after the team's shootaround earlier in the day before the Blue Devils head to Chapel Hill.

"He had his first really good workout, but not contact," Krzyzewski said Friday. "He’ll have no contact today. I would say he’s doubtful for tomorrow, but we’ll see tomorrow. The way he’s going, he won’t be doubtful for the tournament.”

R.J. Barrett picked up the slack with his classmate out, scoring 131 points over the course of the five games and bumping his season average up to 23.3, surpassing Williamson's 21.6. But Williamson does remain the team leader in rebounds per game with 8.8 and has the second-most blocks with 48, trailing just junior Marques Bolden and his 55.

Williamson also remains the favorite to win National Player of the Year honors, which would make him the first Duke player to do so since JJ Redick in 2006.

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “Zion Williamson out for Duke men's basketball vs. North Carolina” on social media.