Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball loses top spot

Zion Williamson and Duke no longer occupy the No. 1 position in the AP Poll

With two weeks of play in the books, things are starting to shape up across college basketball, as seen in the latest AP poll:  

Duke falls to No. 3

Duke’s two-week reign atop the AP poll came to an end on Monday, as Gonzaga took over the top spot. After toppling San Diego State and No. 8 Auburn, the Blue Devils fell to Gonzaga 89-87 in the championship game of the Maui Invitational on Wenesday night, failing to complete a late comeback bid. Freshman forward Zion Williamson looked surprisingly mortal in the tournament, averaging just 16 points per game on a pedestrian 47.2 percent from the field. Duke will look to get back on track on Tuesday night when they will host Indiana and another freshman sensation in Romeo Langford.

North Carolina slides to the No. 11 spot

North Carolina saw a similar drop to its rival Duke, as a 92-89 loss to a then unranked Texas squad forced the Tar Heels down four places from their prior No. 7 ranking. In order to make a run at the ACC title, more consistent production is needed from Luke Maye. The former first-team All-ACC selection has seen diminished production in terms of points per game, rebounds per game, field-goal percentage and 3-point percentage.

Villanova re-enters the Top 25

After two losses sent Villanova out of the AP poll for the first time in nearly five years, the Wildcats slid back in at No. 23 on Monday. Villanova secured the AdvoCare Invitational crown with victories over Canisius, Oklahoma State and then-No. 14 Florida State. Although head coach Jay Wright is certainly missing the more talented roster from 2017-18, the Wildcats appear to be on the right track.

Complete rankings: 

1. Gonzaga
  2. Kansas
  3. Duke
  4. Virginia
  5. Nevada
  6. Tennessee
  7. Michigan
  8. Auburn
  9. Michigan State
  10. Kentucky
  11. North Carolina
  12. Kansas State
  13. Virginia Tech
  14. Iowa
  15. Florida State
  16. Ohio State
  17. Texas
  18. Oregon
  19. Purdue
  20. Texas Tech
  21. Buffalo
  22. Wisconsin
  23. Villanova
  24. Maryland
  25. Mississippi State

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball loses top spot” on social media.