SPONSORED: Get the Dirt: Off-Campus Housing Options

Dear Juniors,

The fall semester is more than halfway over. Soon you will return from studying abroad in Europe and Australia and other far-flung places, and move back into campus dorms for the last time ever. Yes, the last time ever - did you forget? Senior Year not only signals your approaching graduation date but also the era of living off-campus, your gradual acclimation to adult life. You’ll have kitchens where you’ll prepare more than microwavable Ramen, bathrooms that you must clean yourselves and separate bedrooms! But before you get to enjoy these luxuries, you must figure out where to move.

So, what are the options?

If you like the idea of living close to Ninth Street, with its Harris Teeter and proximity to late night eats at Heav Buff and Cosmic, plus its short walk to East Campus, then the apartments at Berkshire Main Street, Berkshire Ninth Street or Station Nine may be for you. 

Berkshire Ninth Street includes studio, one, two and three bedroom apartments. All of them boast granite countertops and custom hardwood cabinetry, stainless steel appliances, full-size washers and dryers in the homes, walk-in closets and ceiling fans. Not to mention, the complex contains a saltwater pool, a 4,000 square-foot fitness center with rock climbing, media, gaming and entertaining lounges with WiFi, an on-site dog park and dog spa, and grilling stations.

Berkshire Main, located near Berkshire Ninth Street, includes similar amenities as it is owned by the same company. This complex offers one or two bedroom apartments with 10-foot high ceilings, walk-in closets, granite countertops, and soaking tubs. It promises a state-of-the-art fitness center, a saltwater pool with cabanas, a rooftop terrace, a yoga room and a pet spa. 

Station Nine, like the two Berkshires, also has a saltwater pool, a fitness center with a yoga studio and pet-friendly apartments with granite counters. The apartments either have one or  two bedrooms with white cabinets in the kitchens and wireless thermostats. Residents can enjoy the hangout center with its games, an outdoor pet park, conference centers and more. 

Since Station Nine and Berkshire Main are next door to one another, they make it easy to visit both complexes in one visit. Berkshire Ninth Street is less than a five-minute walk away as well.

If you like the idea of living in Downtown Durham, Bullhouse Apartments is just the right fit! These apartments are either studios, one or two bedrooms with ten foot ceilings, soft close cabinets, skyline views of downtown and white quartz countertops. Outside is a saltwater pool, rooftop terrace and grills for outdoor dining. There is also a dog spa, yoga room, catering kitchen and entertaining room for parties.

If you’d rather live a 15-minute walk from West Campus or, close to Duke Hospital, then the Lofts at Lakeview or The Belmont might better suit your needs. 

At the Lofts at Lakeview, there are two pools in which to cool off during the muggy summer months and an outdoor fireplace to cozy next to during chillier days. Apartments have black-on-black appliances, large bathtubs and built-in wine racks to emphasize your sophisticated side. Residents can choose from studios, one and two bedrooms apartments.

At The Belmont, both one and two bedroom apartments are available. The apartments include private balconies and washer dryers, alarm systems, wood plank floors, ceiling fans and dishwashers. What really differentiates The Belmont is its private lake and scenic outlook, which make you forget that you’re a student and not on some retreat. There’s also a 24-hour Starbucks lounge in the complex, a BBQ/picnic area with a gazebo, a pool and fitness center.

The Lodge at Croasdaile Farm is a great option if you want to be more removed from campus and the stresses that it can induce. This complex offers one, two and three bedroom apartments (if you can’t decide who to live with!). The apartments can be both townhomes and lofts, may have screened-in porches or patios and balconies. There are walk-in closets and hardwood floors in all of the units. Residents can enjoy a saltwater pool, fitness center, detached garages, a yoga lawn, a dog park, valet trash removal and a coffee bar.

Another option that is distanced from campus is Alta Blu in Chapel Hill, which is convenient if you plan to take some classes at UNC. There are one, two and three bedroom options, with white cabinetry, farmhouse sinks, rustic sliding barn doors, wooden floors, walk-in closets and patios or balconies. Community amenities include a courtyard with an outdoor theater, a tech fitness center with a ballet bar, free bike share and a saltwater pool with a lap lane.

Perhaps, sticking to a budget is more your priority? Then University Apartments, Duke Manor or Chapel Tower are for you!

University Apartments is a great pick for its convenience to campus - it’s on the 6B bus route to West Campus and is located near the Swift Express bus stop. It offers one and two bedroom apartments in the three-digit price range. The apartments have lots of natural light, carpeted bedrooms, ceiling fans and granite countertops. Pets are allowed, there is a fitness center, a saltwater pool, an outdoor fireplace and a complimentary coffee bar.

Other budget-friendly options are Duke Manor and Chapel Tower.

Duke Manor has one and two bedroom floor plans with large closets, breakfast bars in the kitchens and 24-hour emergency service. Its location is convenient to the LaSalle loop bus route and is a short walk or bike ride from campus. The grounds have swimming pools, a fitness center, a soccer field, tennis court and business center.

Chapel Tower offers one, two and three bedroom spaces with washer dryers in them, stainless steel appliances and renovated interiors. Pets are allowed. Like Duke Manor, Chapel Tower is on the LaSalle loop bus route. It is also 12 minutes from Southpoint Mall and includes a swimming pool, and fitness center.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed? Stay tuned for our Housing Quiz, which is coming out soon and can show you the best apartment fits for your particular needs and check out nearDuke.com in the meantime. 

Share and discuss “SPONSORED: Get the Dirt: Off-Campus Housing Options” on social media.