2018 Army football season preview

2017 season: 10-3  

Head coach: Jeff Monken (5th Season) 

When Army faced Duke last season, the Blue Devils were looking to turn around a five-game losing streak and the Black Knights were hoping to improve on a five-game winning streak. Duke sorely needed the win as it battled for bowl eligibility, while Army was simply looking to add another win to an already successful season. 

After the Black Knights topped the Blue Devils in West Point, N.Y., they continued to roll throughout the remainder of its season, winning the Commander-in-Chief’s trophy and the Armed Forces Bowl. Head coach Jeff Monken also received a third-place nomination for AP Coach of the Year, as Army’s 10-3 finish marked the most successful season in more than two decades for the Black Knights.  

Much of this success was contributed to the Army’s running offense, which averaged 362.3 rushing yards per game last season and was one of the most efficient in the country, utilizing its triple-option attack. 

Despite last year’s success, the Black Knights face a new host of challenges this season under center. Quarterback Ahmad Bradshaw, who graduated last season, was nearly unstoppable in 2017, rushing for a school-record 1,746 yards in his final year. Bradshaw also led the Army in rushing yards for in its win against Duke last season.  

The Black Knights will return running backs Darnell Woolfolk and Kell Walker, both of whom have been vital to Army’s success on the ground. Last season, Woolfolk averaged 81 yards rushing per game and Walker averaged more than 100 all-purpose yards per game.  

Share and discuss “2018 Army football season preview” on social media.