X Factor: Can Boston College replace its leading rebounder?

Wendell Carter Jr. will look to stay out of foul trouble against the Eagles.

After setting or approaching several program records in a blowout of St. Francis, Duke will look to continue the momentum as it travels north to kick off ACC play against Boston College Saturday at noon. Here is a look at a key player who could be the difference-maker in the game for each team:

Duke: Forward Wendell Carter Jr

The scary part of the dominant play of the frontcourt thus far is that often, one of the big men is seemingly always in foul trouble— Wendell Carter Jr. The freshman forward has had three or more fouls in each of his last five contests, which has limited his minutes on the court. In the last four games, he has played fewer than 25 minutes, as head coach Mike Krzyzewski had to turn to Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden for relief. 

When Carter does play, he has shown very polished moves in the post and a smooth scoring touch. The 6-foot-10 forward is averaging 12.8 points per game and 8.9 rebounds per game while shooting 50 percent from deep.

If Carter can stay on the floor for an extended time, his play alongside Marvin Bagley III will likely be too much for a Boston College team that only starts one player taller than 6-foot-9 and just lost its leading rebounder, Deontae Hawkins, to a season-ending injury. 

Boston College: Forward Steffon Mitchell

As will be the case in many contests this season, opponents will need to find a player who can bang with Duke’s big men inside to limit scoring in the paint and control the glass. Before the Eagles’ game against Nebraska, that man looked to be Hawkins, who entered that contest averaging a double-double. With Hawkins ruled out for the season, Boston College will look to Mitchell to fill the void.

The 6-foot-8 forward is second on the team in rebounding with 5.7 boards per game, with over 40 percent of the rebounds coming on the offensive end. Although Mitchell has shown to be a competent replacement in the rebounding department, he has struggled mightily scoring. He has failed to eclipse five points in the last six contests and a majority of his season totals came from a two-game stretch when the freshman scored 34 points against lowly South Carolina State and Sacred Heart. 

Mitchell will need to be honed in defensively and on the glass to give the Eagles a fighting chance. If he can ramp up his scoring significantly and draw the Blue Devils forwards—especially Carter—into foul trouble, Boston College may have a chance to be able to pull off the upset.

Share and discuss “X Factor: Can Boston College replace its leading rebounder?” on social media.