ACC Watch: Ball State shocks No. 9 Notre Dame, No. 15 Virginia falls

Every night of the college basketball season, the Blue Zone will bring you updates on all of the important ACC matchups. In our second-ever edition of ACC Watch, No. 9 Notre Dame fell at home to Ball State and No. 15 Virginia lost to No. 18 West Virginia. 

Ball State 80, No. 9 Notre Dame 77 

Despite 26 points from Bonzie Colson, a gritty Ball State squad downed the Fighting Irish at home on a last-second 3-pointer from Tayler Persons. Notre Dame was dominated on the boards 40-26 like it was in its lone prior loss to then-No. 3 Michigan State, when it was outrebounded 42-21. 

No. 18 West Virginia 68, No. 15 Virginia 61

The Mountaineers topped Virginia and its stifling defense Tuesday behind a near-triple double from Jevon Carter, who scored 23, grabbed 10 boards, and needed just three more assists to hit double-digits. Devon Hall and Kyle Guy combined to score 37 points on 8-of-19 shooting beyond the arc, but the rest of Virginia's starters scored just 11 points. 

No. 1 Duke 124, St. Francis 67

The Red Flash entered Tuesday ranked No. 282 in the nation in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's adjusted defensive efficiency metric, and the Blue Devils took advantage. They scored the fifth-most points in program history and set a school record for assists with 34, headlined by Trevon Duval's 11. 

The other scores: 

No. 10 Miami 69, Boston University 54

Pittsburgh 82, Mt. St. Mary's 78 (OT)

Wake Forest 80, Charlotte 57 

Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63

Check back in tomorrow for all the latest ACC action, with five games involving ACC teams being played Wednesday. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “ACC Watch: Ball State shocks No. 9 Notre Dame, No. 15 Virginia falls” on social media.