Duke men's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Jack White

<p>Jack White will look to carve out a role for himself on a stacked Duke team.&nbsp;</p>

Jack White will look to carve out a role for himself on a stacked Duke team. 

Jack White

• Year: Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-7
  • Position: Forward
  • Last year’s statline: 2.1 PPG, 1.3 RPG, 0.1 APG

Game Breakdown: After spending much of last season getting acclimated to college basketball in the United States, White will look to be more involved this season with a year of experience under his belt. The sophomore forward saw action in 10 games last season and demonstrated an ability to hit shots from inside and beyond the arc, connecting on 66.7 percent of his field goals from last season. Despite his large frame at 6-foot-7 and 226 pounds, White is surprisingly agile, especially on defense, where he was able to generate some turnovers during the 2016-2017 campaign.

The Blue Devils will want White to be more aggressive and more involved in the rebounding game, which he demonstrated at Countdown to Craziness last week with a team-high six rebounds. 

Role on the Team: Though a reliable and consistent player on both sides of the ball, White will likely again be utilized as a role player early on in the season before spending most of his time on the sideline as conference play heats up. With the addition of highly-touted recruits Wendell Carter Jr. and Marvin Bagley III, Duke has tremendous depth at both the guard and forward positions, sending White a bit further down the depth chart. 

That being said, White is a seasoned player with experience at a variety of international tournaments and is more than capable of filling in in the event of injury or any unforeseen circumstances. After a quiet outing in limited action against Northwest Missouri State, look for White to heat up in the upcoming non-conference games as he tries to cement himself amongst the likes of Bagley, Carter, and fellow 6-foot-7 forward Jordan Tucker. 

NBA Comparison: A small forward with size, perimeter shooting ability, and competitive international experience fits the mold of Indiana Pacers small forward Bojan Bogdanović. Bogdanović, who signed with the Pacers in the offseason, has enjoyed stints with the Brooklyn Nets and Washington Wizards. With the Wizards last season, Bogdanović enjoyed career highs in field goal percentage and three-point shooting percentage at 45.7 and 39.1 percent, respectively. Both he and White can spread the floor and knock down shots from inside and beyond the arc, making them valuable assets off the bench. 

Projected stats: 0.9 PPG, 0.4 RPG, 0.2 APG

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Jack White ” on social media.