Around the ACC: Week 9

<p>Malik Rosier's dominance sparked the Blue Devils' six-game losing streak last season.&nbsp;</p>

Malik Rosier's dominance sparked the Blue Devils' six-game losing streak last season. 

Miami remained undefeated and Clemson took down its last likely challenger in the Atlantic Division, setting the Hurricanes and Tigers on a collision course for the ACC crown. 

No. 4 Clemson 38, No. 20 N.C. State 31

K'Von Wallace's interception with two seconds remaining left Clemson walking away from Raleigh victorious and controlling their own destiny in the ACC Coastal Division. Despite being behind for most of Saturday and allowing the most points it had all season, the Tigers' defense stepped up when it counted, intercepting North Carolina State quarterback Ryan Finley twice in the last three drives to seal the victory. The Tigers jumped ahead for good on a Tavien Feaster 89-yard touchdown run to end the third quarter and leaned on quarterback Kelly Bryant's legs for most of the game—he ran for 88 yards and two scores. With the loss, the Wolfpack is all but eliminated from taking the Coastal Division crown. Clemson will play in the ACC Championship game Dec. 2 if it beats Florida State next weekend. 

No. 10 Miami 28, No.13 Virginia Tech 10

The Hurricanes donned the turnover chain four times on their way towards an 18 point victory. Despite three Malik Rosier interceptions, Miami continued their dominance and won their eighth straight victory with explosiveness, averaging 7.9 yards per play. The Hokies dropped to 7-2 on the season after a lackluster night on offense, gaining just 2.4 yards per attempt. Miami looks jump into the College Football Playoff conversation with a against No. 3 Notre Dame next week. 

Florida State 27, Syracuse 24

Syracuse lost on a heartbreaker, missing the potential game-tying field goal attempt wide left with time running out after being down by 10 with 6:48 remaining. Syracuse gained great field position with less than two minutes remaining after a muffed Florida State punt, but failed to come away from Tallahassee with a victory. Cam Akers broke the Orange defense with 199 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the preseason No. 3 Seminoles first home win and consecutive win of the season—which gave the Seminoles the potential to continue their 40-year winning record and 35-year bowl game streaks alive.

No. 3 Notre Dame 48, Wake Forest 37

Notre Dame defeated Wake Forest and averted an injury scare to starting quarterback Brandon Wimbush, who suffered a contusion on his left hand that forced him to play the second half in a wrap. Despite the injury, Wimbush totalled 390 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Irish past the Demon Deacons—who cut a 25-point fourth quarter deficit to 11. The Irish look to pick up their fifth win against an ACC team next Saturday against currently ranked No. 10 Miami.

Virginia 40, Georgia Tech 36

Virginia clinched bowl eligibility on Saturday for the first time since 2011. The rainy game came down to the last two possessions, with the Cavaliers stopping the Yellow Jackets on downs with twenty seconds remaining. Cavalier quarterback Kurt Benkert threw the go ahead touchdown with 1:21 remaining, capping off a 260 yard, three touchdown night. Georgia Tech’s Taquon Marshall had a season-high 179 yards passing and rushed for 143 yards. 

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 9” on social media.